LXVII

"Psst

"Psst."

ㅤJames dug his face into his pillow, groaning. He recognised that whisper.

ㅤ"Get out of my room."

ㅤFabian nudged him this time, pushing his shoulder. "Jule, get up. I have something to show you."

ㅤ"I don't care," James whined. "Go."

ㅤ"You're already awake now," he pointed out.

ㅤJames sighed and finally regarded his brother's silhouette in the dark, cranky and impatient. "What is it?"

ㅤHe could see dim light reflect off Fabian's teeth as he grinned.

ㅤ"Do you, little brother, want to see a lion?"

ㅤJames immediately sat up, his eyes widening despite the sleepy tightness. He was nearly breathless. "A lion?"

ㅤ"A lion."

ㅤFabian tugged him by the arm and James obeyed easily, scrambling out of bed despite the cold chill that captured him. Excitement pounded in his chest, thrumming through his body, elated by such an idea.

ㅤ"You better not be lying to me," James warned. His hopes were already raised even if he tried to foster more suspicion. It may have been a prank.

ㅤ"I swear on my life."

ㅤGuards patrolled the corridors, it wasn't going to be easy to sneak around. He told Fabian to stay put before going into his walk-in wardrobe and rifling around in the dark. Underneath his vests he could feel the difference in fabrics through touch, finding the cheap scratchy dungarees he'd stowed away.

ㅤHe held them up proudly. Fabian took one of them, identifying it through his hands.

ㅤ"How do you even have these?"

ㅤJames laughed quietly. He had way more than just dungarees hidden in his dressing room. He'd recently stumbled upon a new hobby and his hands had become quick and dishonest. Their parents wouldn't have approved if they'd known.

ㅤ"One of the servants left them out to dry. These definitely belonged to a child."

ㅤFabian bounced on his toes in excitement. He didn't even question the larceny. "They're the perfect disguise! We can pretend we're servants if we get caught."

ㅤTheir plan was infallible.

ㅤWith their new outfits on, they slinked through the palace. They would both stick their heads around one corner and wait in silence for a moment, listening out for guards, before their little footsteps tapped rapidly, darting for the next pillar or alcove to hide behind.

ㅤSuddenly, an adult gait pierced the air and the two boys shoved at each other in panic. Fabian, thinking quickly, dragged Julian under a clothed table, their bodies hidden behind the sheet.