LVII

With Harrison's seal of approval, their next move was decided

ㅤWithout horses, they'd have to make the journey on foot. Harrison had provided them with one horse, softly suggesting that its rider hadn't returned along with the rest of them. They could hitch their bags to it, making the journey easier on their feet.

ㅤIt wasn't just a horse that Harrison had provided for them. They'd received more appropriate clothes for the weather; light shirts with short sleeves and knee-high kilts so their limbs could breathe. It came as a relief to all of them.

ㅤFor James though, it meant his scarring was more evident. He hadn't bothered rebandaging it last night since no one would see it in the dark. But now, in the light of day, sitting outside on the grass, he felt self-conscious. A few of the mercenaries had whistled in awe, patting him on the back like it made them comrades. He didn't entertain the attention, but he didn't rebuff it either.

ㅤBecause of the injured, they'd run out of clean bandages for James to use. So James used his old shirt, ripping it into strips with the aid of a knife, tying the pieces together. He kept an eye on Alex's brother, Colby, as he did so, stalking his movements.

ㅤColby was more injured than he pretended.

ㅤWith most of the attention on Colby's sliced hand, none of the others paid attention to the stutter in his gait or the way he leaned on one leg more than the other. It was equally telling that he was still wearing trousers instead of the kilts that were available.

ㅤThere was probably a reason the man was keeping his injuries to himself.

ㅤJames made his expression a little less unpleasant when he saw Alex approach.

ㅤ"You're covering it?" Alex asked in surprise.

ㅤThere was no real reason for Alex to have thought otherwise.

ㅤ"It's unsightly," James stated, simply.

ㅤ"Wouldn't it be uncomfortable in the heat?"

ㅤIt would. But it was necessary. The dry leathery marks on his arm weren't a digestible sight, especially to normal citizens. Alex had winced the first time he'd seen them and he was a knight who was accustomed to seeing gore. Others wouldn't be as desensitised.

ㅤJames shrugged, continuing to tie material together, too lazy to explain that. He expected Alex to walk off but, instead, Alex sat down next to him, closing his eyes to enjoy the sun against his face.

ㅤJames admired his work once he was done. The knots would probably feel itchy and uncomfortable after a while, but it was serviceable.

ㅤ"Here," Alex said, holding his palm out. "Give it to me."

ㅤJames raised his eyebrows in surprise. He noticed then that Alex was sitting particularly close to him. Their faces were close enough that James couldn't see much of anything else when he looked in that direction. They weren't touching, but they were more crowded than they would've been before. He wondered if Alex realised that.