XLV

It had been decided that it was best to proceed as a group

It had been decided that it was best to proceed as a group. Not only had they already been seen together, but they would be entering the palace within the same time period anyway. It wasn't unusual for knights to escort scholars and politicians if headed in the same direction, so they would use that as their cover story.

ㅤThey navigated the city by foot, leaving the horses to rest at the inn. Fletcher seemed enamoured by the architecture, gazing at the tall terraced streets with a distracted appreciation. 

ㅤMost of these buildings were at least five levels high, flanking either side of the road like deep man-made canyons. The ground level floors were mostly commercial, shops and traders, enticing crowds of people like loud bees to flowers.

ㅤHaphazard market stalls crowded the centre of the streets, vendors sheltered from the sun under dusty looking material, attempting to compete by undercutting the prices of the brick-and-mortar stores, shouting and bartering.

ㅤThis road continued to snake forward, slightly curved, pointing to its destination of the great Theos palace; the largest man-made structure in the world, according to Fletcher. James felt slightly sick looking at it.

ㅤ"Did you know Korcaster was the first city to ever have an underground sewage system?" Fletcher prattled on, having to raise his voice to be heard. "Too many people got ill because of sewage dumped in the river."

ㅤNo one replied and it prompted James to regard their group. They were all way too tense, their frowns grim, like they were walking to their deaths. Even the trainee soldiers doing their mandatory service, running past them with red sweaty bodies, seemed happier. James drily thought his travel companions wouldn't succeed much in theatre, except Riley, who looked just as smug as usual.

ㅤIt wasn't that James didn't understand. He also felt awful, walking through busy streets without a hood, his face on full display, Eris left behind. But, he knew better than to show it.

ㅤHe casually drifted towards Alex's blind spot and swiftly pocketed his purse.

ㅤRiley cleared his throat and James peered behind his shoulder, finding himself on the receiving end of a hard stare from the man. James smiled and winked before walking away again, unashamed.

ㅤHe couldn't tell if Alex was unaware his money had been stolen, or if he couldn't be bothered to fight over it. James leaned towards the latter.

ㅤHe bought himself some gloves with Alex's money from a stall they passed. That way, he could remove the bandages Fletcher had balled his hands up with and cover them more comfortably.

ㅤUnlike James and Fletcher's casual wear, Alex, Thomas, and Riley were all dressed in official Drykas knight uniforms, ornamented in greys and blues, navy capes hanging on their backs. Interestingly, people seemed wary of them.

ㅤHe began to mutter to himself, something that was normal for him in a dangerous situation. It felt hollow without Eris to reassure him, but it did well in organising his thoughts.