VII

James hadn't been returned to the same cell he left

James hadn't been returned to the same cell he left. This time they had taken him further and further down, a place where light nor warmth reached. The torches the knights carried were the only dim source of light he had. His bare feet squelched in the wet slimy cobbles, the ooze coagulating between his toes as the knights forced him forward. The stench of mould flavoured the air, the dusty taste stinging his tongue.

ㅤOne of the two guards retched at the stench.

ㅤ"Why'd you go and piss off clay face. This is disgusting."

ㅤJames scrunched up his nose. It was unpleasant, but it wasn't nearly as bad as the smell of the rotting child he had found a couple of days before.

ㅤFrom the way the guards behaved so carefree around him, it meant that Alex probably hadn't told them of his identity. If these guards knew he was Jay the atmosphere would have been a lost frostier.

ㅤEven as he did his best to memorise the prison's layout, his mind couldn't help but wander.

ㅤJames couldn't understand that man, there was something he was missing. If Alex was so convinced he was Jay, why hadn't he announced the career-making capture or suggested his execution? Alex could have killed him right away in the woods if he had wanted to. He couldn't understand his actions.

ㅤRather than an open cell, this time he was taken to a locked room. James felt his heart sank once he saw the shackles hanging from the wall, the low stench of stale blood underlining the damp.

ㅤFor the first time since James had been arrested, he struggled.

ㅤHe got one knight in the face by lurching his head backwards, catching the man off guard. The other yelled in surprise. James rushed his body at the other, trying to tackle him at the waist before any sword could be drawn. James' balance was slightly off and he ended up tumbling to the floor with the knight, struggling to keep the other man down with his legs.

ㅤA sudden sharp pain bloomed at the top of James' head, and a boot struck his chest, winding him. He gasped for air desperately, his eyes searching for his assailant in his disorientation.

ㅤ"You fucking bastard." the first knight spat, his nose bloodied.

ㅤThe other got up from the floor, his clothes covered in filth. "This arsehole..."

ㅤThe oncoming assault made James regret not taking his chances in very beginning in the woods. They kicked his useless body as he lurched on the ground, protecting his ribs and stomach with his arms and legs. They battered his body, the lack of clothes leaving him with broken skin, forcing him into physical submission.

ㅤThey had caught his head a few times with their boots, leaving James' consciousness gravely slipping away. He grappled frantically to stay awake, to remain aware, but his vision began to blacken despite his will.

ㅤHe wasn't sure how long the assault lasted, his mind coming and going. He could hardly remember being chained up the wall, his body hanging forward by his arms. After some time had passed, he tested his feet, which had been predictably chained to the ground. He must have been there long enough for his shoulders to have begun aching when he properly came to.