LXXIX

The confirmation of Prince Julian's return caused waves

ㅤUnlike the swollen chatter of before, the chair's announcement first weighed a hush in the senate, suspending them in a state of disbelief and shock. As the committee continued with their assessment, ripples of gasps pulsed outward, the stunned silence becoming slow mutterings.

ㅤThe stranger that had walked in on their chamber from out of nowhere was King Fabian's dead younger brother and former expectant to the throne. More than wondering about just James, it opened the door to some hesitant revelations.

ㅤWhat did this mean for King Fabian?

ㅤJames sat by, numbly melting into the scene around him. He thumbed Eris, his eyes unfocused, but he'd known he'd get nothing back from her. She was silent, dormant. After all, she'd asked him not to come to this place and James had betrayed their bond by doing so.

ㅤKing William did most of the talking, thankfully. Although the senate hung off every single one of his words, there wasn't a single gaze that wasn't trained on James, trying to pierce through his skin. He paid no mind to it.

ㅤDespite witnessing the temple's interference first-hand, they'd decided to keep it to themselves for the time being. And it wasn't the only thing they'd decided to keep hidden.

ㅤ"Senator Bladwell," the committee called.

ㅤThe man stood. "Thank you, chair."

ㅤJames inspected Eris' worn grip, the leather fraying and faded around the shape of his hand. She needed a new one.

ㅤ"I appreciate the committee's forthcomingness in explaining the certainty of Prince Julian's identity. It leaves little room for doubt and I think I can say on behalf of all my colleagues how incredible the news of His Royal Highness' survival is." There was some noise of agreement and James dug his nail under Eris' grip, testing its durability. "Whilst a joyous occasion, I address this question to Prince Julian, himself. As we are all wondering, we ask you to explain what happened on that sad day, why you've kept yourself in hiding, and what your purpose is, coming back here."

ㅤShouts of agreement surrounded. Whilst James had recounted the events to the committee earlier that day, the senators had been kept in the dark. Not only did James not have any evidence of his claims, but King Fabian was greatly pitied and loved by the people, regardless of the murder of red-eyed people.

ㅤIt was to be expected. Many commoners didn't know why the knights had killed those people in the first place. The nobles, James had come to learn, had been warned before the event. Any rare individual with red eyes within the nobility was sent abroad before the purge began.

ㅤKing Fabian had just been an impressionable and scared child at the time of the order, the nobles would say. He hadn't been the only one pushing for it either.

ㅤIt was just an immature mistake.

ㅤWhilst the committee contemplated a way to shoot the question down, James stood.