XLVI

Alex had experienced it before, but the Theos knights were like territorial wasps defending the nest

Alex had experienced it before, but the Theos knights were like territorial wasps defending the nest. The two of them had been subject to passive-aggressive dismissals at the door when they'd signed the visitors log.

ㅤ"We often get Drykas and Ankaid knights coming here," one of the guards had said to them, with a veiled smug undertone, "are your own records really that lacking?"

ㅤ"We often send a lot of our documents here," Thomas had replied with a tight-lipped smile, "I reckon at least a third of these resources are ours."

ㅤ"Ah, so you bring them here for safe keeping, do you?"

ㅤEvery comment had been laden with implications that the Drykas knights were less capable than them, or that Lyechester was an inferior or dangerous place. It was childish, but Alex couldn't help but retaliate.

ㅤ"We do so much paperwork that it's simply impossible to store it all back home," he lamented, "the Theos palace always has lots of empty space that doesn't seem to get filled."

ㅤIt wasn't a good idea to reciprocate their snide comments since it would only risk further escalation, but Alex was overstretched and overworked. He needed to vent his frustrations out somewhere.

ㅤ"How's the duke doing?" the guard asked suddenly.

ㅤAlex didn't bother looking up from where he was writing. "Which one?"

ㅤThere was a hesitance. Alex glanced upward to see two guards having a silent argument with each other through their eyes.

ㅤ"I'm just saying," the knight went on casually, "it's nearly Helou week soon, right?"

ㅤ"Dude," the other guard hissed.

ㅤAlex put the pen down, straightening to his full height, making direct eye contact.

ㅤ"And, what's that got to do with me?" Alex asked calmly.

ㅤThomas put a hand on his arm. "We shouldn't," he murmured.

ㅤAlex brushed him off. "No, no. I want to know. What's that got to do with me?"

ㅤThe knight shrugged, crossing his arms. "Just hoping you feel safe, that's all."

ㅤ"Why wouldn't I?"

ㅤ"No need to be defensive," the knight laughed, "I'm only wishing you well, Lord Alexander."

ㅤAlex stared.

ㅤ"Getting angry won't do any good," Thomas whispered, "let it go for now."

ㅤAlex smiled, not pleasantly; it was acrid and bitter, laden with disgust, for both them and himself, for everyone. He wanted to break their skulls open, just like he had to those other knights when he was a child. He hated them all.

ㅤAlex was so full of loathing, getting angry was never an option. He'd kill himself before he'd lash out. James' opinion on it be damned. That man had no idea about anything.