LXIV

Just as James had insisted, Duke Straton cared deeply for his family, detrimentally so

Just as James had insisted, Duke Straton cared deeply for his family, detrimentally so. Using his daughter, Mererid, had been effective in keeping him under their persuasion. And, as a good host, she'd been happy to remain in close proximity with them, not realising her role as a hostage.

ㅤAlex felt guilty using her as a tool but he had no real plans to harm her and the action was going to save many lives. She seemed happy in the presence of male company.

ㅤLike a wildcat, her sights zeroed in on Yufus, instantly identifying him as the one owning the weakest heart. As they sat in the lounge, she openly flirted with the man, finding any excuse to drag her fingers over his skin, slowly wrapping her seductive noose around him. It was clear that she enjoyed tempting out his fluster.

ㅤ"Women in Talum do not behave in such a way," Yufus had asserted, his face beet red.

ㅤAlex had to admit, he was somewhat entertained by the display. Yufus was like a mouse being tossed between either of her paws. She toyed with him easily. Khearian men were less prude in comparison, so Yufus' reactions must've been refreshingly new.

ㅤMererid feigned surprise. "No?" She brushed the hair away from Yufus' face. "But then how do they show their appreciation?"

ㅤ"They do not."

ㅤMererid tutted. "Handsome men like you deserve to hear compliments."

ㅤAlex never would've considered Yufus 'handsome', not that it mattered. Alex was aware that Khearian women had a negative reputation on the rest of the continent; many considered them along the same vein as sirens and succubi. Given how unaccustomed Yufus seemed of Mererid's audaciousness, he reckoned the reputation wasn't far from the truth, comparatively.

ㅤ"Give it a rest, already," Riley said, sitting beside her. "You're disgusting."

ㅤMererid jabbed a sharp elbow under his ribs, Riley grunting in pain. He didn't retaliate physically, but he shot her a hateful look.

ㅤIt was then that Mererid caught Alex staring, cocking her head in interest. Alex braced himself, seeing her evaluate him as potential prey. James' company had refined Alex's ability to read people like that.

ㅤAbandoning her toy, she fluttered over to where Alex sat, falling onto the sofa beside him. Yufus relaxed, breathing in deeply like he'd been starved of air.

ㅤ"Hello, my lady," Alex plainly greeted her.

ㅤShe smiled. "Hello, my lord."

ㅤUnfortunately for her, she was barking up the entirely wrong tree.

ㅤRiley snorted, taking a seat opposite, rudely resting his feet on the low table between them. "Your time would be wasted with that one."

ㅤ"How come?" Mererid asked, clearly not heeding his advice.