XX

James hadn't felt like his usual self

James hadn't felt like his usual self. His outward behaviour hadn't changed a bit, still mocking, still fake, but his emotions were detached, itching under his skin, like he was trapped in his own shell of a body. He'd stared into the mirror for a long time that morning and he and the reflection were two entirely different people.

ㅤEris' bite had completely healed by then and every time he looked at his hands he only saw the smooth disfigured skin on his palms, absent of any prints or creases which had long since been burned away.

ㅤHaving Eris would make him okay again. He just needed Eris.

ㅤThomas came and collected him from his room once they were ready to leave.

ㅤJames could tell he put everyone on edge just by being in their presence, he supposed it must have been exhausting for them to stay so vigilant in case James became murderous. James was at an advantage in that way; they had to worry about him whilst he didn't. However, Thomas seemed especially cautious as they made their way to the stables.

ㅤSomething was up.

ㅤAlex and Fletcher were already at the wagon when he and Thomas approached. Alex spotted them first, but he quickly bristled and half-turned his body away, repelled by James' being.

ㅤ"What's so funny?"

ㅤJames felt his cheeks, his smile etched wide. He must have looked psychotic.

ㅤ"Just happy to get my friend back." he said, the excuse flowing off his tongue.

ㅤAlex didn't seem convinced, but quickly forgot about it, concentrating on hooking the horses up to the carriage. The smell of hay and fur cooking in the morning sun kept James grounded.

ㅤJames wasn't an idiot. The temple wasn't even half a day away, that carriage was there for him. Unlike the rickety thing they had used back in Bullmar, this one was tightly crafted, secure, with a working door in the back, like a prison.

ㅤThey were expecting James to run.

ㅤIt was tempting, but King William may feel half-inclined to spread the news that Prince Julian was still alive if he succeeded. he couldn't let that happen.

ㅤ"You shouldn't have picked me for this job." Thomas grumbled as he inspected their set-up. "I want nothing to do with the Moira temple, I'm a devout Adeia follower."

ㅤ"They're not incompatible." Fletcher pointed out to the man. "They're both considered Gods in their own right. The Adeia temple has never disavowed Moira."

ㅤJames snorted. "What are you, a theologist?"

ㅤ"Yes." Fletcher replied, point blank.

ㅤJames had forgotten who he was speaking to.

ㅤ"Most people only support Adeia," Thomas went on to say, "unlike Alex; a heathen who believes in neither."

ㅤ"Shut up, man."