XLI

"I don't understand why he has to be so horrible to me," James complained, flopping onto the sofa

"I don't understand why he has to be so horrible to me," James complained, flopping onto the sofa. He let his body fall to the side so he was lying down, his shoulder burrowing into the soft cushion. The silk felt soft against his cheek, so he rubbed his face against it.

ㅤHis mother smiled sadly at him, her green eyes creasing sympathetically. "He does love you, Jule."

ㅤJames inwardly humphed. "No he doesn't, mum. All he talks about is how weak and stupid I am. He's older than me! No wonder he keeps winning. Every time I lose he just tells me how he'll lock me in prison for being a loser once he's king."

ㅤAfter a moment of silence, his mother stood from her seat near the window. Her gown flowed lightly, delicately, like butterflies, as she made her way to him, the scent of flowers following her. He sat up for a moment, making room for her to sit next to him, before lying again, resting his head on her lap.

ㅤ"Well, do you want to be king one day?" she asked, stroking his hair. He relaxed at the touch, feeling warmth blooming in his chest, his heart soothing.

ㅤ"I mean... yes, I guess," he said, his eyes creeping shut, "I want to prove him wrong. I don't want to lose."

ㅤHis mother hummed in thought, a soft and familiar sound. He felt her lean down and kiss his cheek. He smiled. After she came up, she twirled a lock of his long hair, then started to plait it.

ㅤ"Is that the only reason?"

ㅤJames flopped his hand in a half-hearted shrug. He opened his eyes to regard the room; the silk furniture, the golden glow of the sun, the peaceful crystal taps of wind chimes. This was his home. His comfort. He never wanted to leave it.

ㅤ"I want to stay here," he told her, "and I want to rub it in Fabian's face after I send him packing."

ㅤHis mother chuckled. "That's not very nice, Jule."

ㅤ"He's not very nice. He said he'd put me in the dungeon, I'm taking the high ground actually, mum."

ㅤShe sighed slightly, a noise that was common from her.

ㅤ"So, what would be the first thing you'd do for the kingdom if you became king?"

ㅤJames didn't really have an answer. He thought about it for a moment and she waited for him patiently, moving onto the next lock of his hair to play with. When he thought about lobbying politicians, it felt burdensome. Was there anything about the kingdom he didn't like?

ㅤ"I'd keep it the same," James declared, "I love this place, it doesn't need change."

ㅤ"Funny," his mum mused.

ㅤJames tilted his head slightly to look up at her, her long blonde hair tickling his nose. "What's funny?"

ㅤ"Despite what you think, you two boys are alike," she said, smiling in soft amusement.