LXXXI

Days passed

Days passed. The deliberation stretched on. The longer the senators took, the edgier everyone became. Permission became less and less likely to be granted and, as confident and well-assured as King William's people had been until that point, even they began to fear. It was a nail-knawing wait inside their dark prison. 

ㅤIf the verdict came back negative, King Fabian would hear of it immediately and King William's hands would be tied. Blood would be shed and no one would be able to do a thing about it.

ㅤThankfully, James started eating, but he remained holed up in his room, reading random paperbacks Alex had fetched from the Curia's library. Every single time, without hesitation, James ignored the storybooks to favour anything informative.

ㅤ"Do you not like reading stories?" Alex asked him.

ㅤHe recalled James' fascination with the stars, the tales woven into the sky.

ㅤ"No," James replied, his voice tight.

ㅤA knock rapped at the door and Alex glanced around to ensure the room was presentable. He'd already passed all the broken furniture and rubbish onto the servants some days prior but the gaping dark holes where the windows had been were irrecoverable.

ㅤJames didn't stir, propped up against the headboard, reading, as if he hadn't heard.

ㅤAlex recoiled after opening the door, suddenly slapped in the face by the presence of King William, Duke Chamberlain, Duke Straton and Harrison.

ㅤ"Y -Your Majesty and Your Graces."

ㅤThey clearly hadn't expected Alex to have been the one to answer. Whilst his father glared at him, Duke Straton stepped back to view the corridor and ensure they had the right room. Harrison, though, smiled politely.

ㅤ"Lord Alexander, is Prince Julian inside? His Majesty wishes to speak with him."

ㅤ"Of course," Alex rushed, opening the door widely for them.

ㅤEven with the intrusion of company, James didn't glance up from his book. He read it with a bored air and crossed a leg over his bent knee. That confidently indifferent gaze and the languid casualness as he lay there on his back, on the messy covers, book propped in one hand, stirred something up in Alex. He became entranced, those thick flexed calves strong enough for Alex to sink his teeth in, the sudden desire to crawl between them becoming intrusive.

ㅤIt wasn't fair.

ㅤ"Prince Julian, my boy," King William greeted.

ㅤHarrison's gaze did a sweep of the room, not hiding his interest. He was a scarily perceptive man, only Adeia could know what he saw; Alex worried it would be more than just the broken windows and missing furniture.

ㅤ"Lord Alexander, would you excuse us?" Harrison asked.

ㅤ"Of course."

ㅤJames' book snapped shut, interrupting Alex's easy agreement.