LXII

Alex laid in bed, eyes closed despite the alertness of his mind, the vigilance of his primitive body

Alex laid in bed, eyes closed despite the alertness of his mind, the vigilance of his primitive body. Fletcher shifted next to him, twitching in his sleep. Fletcher had been shaken after witnessing the killing and had privately requested Alex to volunteer to sleep in the bed with him instead. James had accepted that immediately. Whether James was ignorant as to why, Alex did not know.

ㅤIt was one thing to see on paper that James was a cold blooded killer, it wasn't waved in front of his face, it was a fact he could greatly understate in his mind, ignore it. It was another to witness it in front of his very eyes. Such a weak and pitiful woman, and she'd been slaughtered so dishonourably. James had joked about it.

ㅤIn that moment, Alex had been truly frightened of James— a feeling he'd long forgotten and since remembered.

ㅤThe reasoning had been so unempathetic. James had explained why murdering her had been his only option like every one of his assumptions were fact. But, he'd only decided to take the easy route. There could've been other things they could've done, if only they'd sat down and talked about it.

ㅤThat poor woman had only wanted to protect her own. She had been noble, in a way.

ㅤ"Psst."

ㅤAlex startled, reaching for the dagger he'd shoved under his pillow. But, a rough hand stopped his wrist, holding it firmly. Palm scabbed over, it was James'.

ㅤ"You scared me," Alex accused, in a harsh whisper. Truthfully, he was still frightened, his heart tapping his ribs quickly.

ㅤ"Come with me."

ㅤAlex blew out a breath, rubbing his eyes. "At this time?"

ㅤJames was serious. "Yes," he whispered. "Come on, put some clothes on."

ㅤIt was beyond tempting to tell James to fuck off, considering the time of night. Alex hadn't been sleeping, but he was still exhausted. It wasn't reasonable to expect him to obey every beck and call, especially when he was still angry.

ㅤHe relented with a sigh, sitting up.

ㅤ"What for?" Alex asked, but James shushed him. So, he silently put his clothes on, grumbling in his head. Remarkably, Fletcher remained asleep throughout the soft fissling, his breaths steady.

ㅤ"You'll see."

ㅤJames hiked a bag over his shoulder, Eris tied to his waist, and held the bedroom door open for him. He waited patiently whilst Alex stood there with his arms crossed. But, once again, Alex relented, and walked out.

ㅤIt was strange. It wasn't unusual for Alex to be awake and moving around at this time of night; he often worked into the early hours of the morning. However, that was in the Drykas Palace, or in Duke Chamberlain's estate— where the sun never truly set. There were always others rushing past him in corridors, or joking in stairwells, voices and footsteps chipping away at the air. Here, though, in Duke Straton's villa, it was quiet, calm, silent. Serene. The long corridors were still, and their presence, their gentle breaths, was the only disturbance rippling that flat pond. Alex could believe they were the only two people on the planet. The thought made him feel sick and awed.