LXXXV

Sweat steaming under the solid trap of his armour, Alex hastened down the long rope of corridor, the tunnel extending endlessly

Sweat steaming under the solid trap of his armour, Alex hastened down the long rope of corridor, the tunnel extending endlessly. Dark red windows chased him with a sideways glance, the creeping night defended against by only the small flames of standing torchères and lamps; their small glows were oppressed easily.

ㅤ"Alex!"

ㅤIgnoring his pursuer, Alex kicked open the next door he spotted, the quake of breaking wood flinching screams from within. Maids held each other, on the floor, in terror, cowering away. It was another guest bedroom— not what Alex was seeking out.

ㅤ"Alex, I know that's you!"

ㅤ"I'm busy," he replied.

ㅤ"There is no way I'm leaving you alone," Thomas insisted, marching over to him.

ㅤAlex quickly shut the door and stepped away as Thomas got close, hiding the servants inside.

ㅤ"You need to go back."

ㅤ"I know what you're doing," Thomas barrelled on. "And it's too dangerous."

ㅤAlex didn't have time for this. "By being here with me you're putting yourself in danger, too. You have a wife and daughter waiting on your return."

ㅤHe continued his search, rushing to the next door, the armoured thuds of footsteps following. His speed was dragging as if he'd been burdened with dragging the weight of Thomas behind him as well.

ㅤThomas grabbed his arm and Alex whipped it out of his grasp.

ㅤ"And you're on a suicide mission!" Thomas shouted. "If the duke doesn't kill you first then King Fabian certainly will! Yeah, I know what you plan to do— and that man is far too skilled for you and he'll be surrounded by dozens of guards who will also be better than you. This is suicide! And for what?"

ㅤ"It has to be me," he ground out, over his barely controlled temper.

ㅤ"That's James' role! He has to be the one to finish King Fabian off!"

ㅤ"Fuck off!" Alex snapped, shoving Thomas back by his chest. The other man stumbled, wide-eyed in shock. "And that's an order!"

ㅤThomas wouldn't understand. He wouldn't get it— not if Alex even attempted to explain. Despite everything they'd planned, the detrimental truth had become obvious: James still loved his brother.

ㅤKing Fabian was James' last family and, without predicting how James would react, King William planned to put the two in front of each other once again, all this time later. Alex worried that James might decide to give up before he dared to murder his last tether to this world. The possibility was both frightening and likely and Alex would not take any chances.

ㅤHe would get there first and save James by taking the act out of his hands.

ㅤ"Listen," Alex said, calming. "Leave me and go look after yourself, okay?"