XII

"Were you uninterested because you're married?" James asked suddenly

ㅤAlex seemed nonplussed by the question and, as always, decided not to answer when he didn't know what James was saying. As the air dampened with the lowering of the sun, James had lost his patience after so many hours.

ㅤ"I said she had a friend..." James elaborated for him.

ㅤThe moon overhead was barely brighter than the sky, James always found its gentle glow comfortable and familiar. He often relied on it when travelling in the dark, especially as a child.

ㅤ"I'm not married." Alex said, curt.

ㅤJames had taken note of the cranky silence after Alex realised he couldn't pry information out of a tipsy James. James drank enough that he would have been dead a long time ago if he wasn't a careful one. It was entertaining for James to watch Alex borderline sulk when his plan didn't go so well.

ㅤ"I'm surprised, how old are you? Late-thirties? You're practically an old man."

ㅤ"I'm thirty one." Alex snapped.

ㅤJames grinned, he got a kick out of being a pain in his arse.

ㅤ"Sorry, you look older though." James said, not a shred of apology in his voice. "Must be all the frown lines from being so grouchy."

ㅤ"Shut it."

ㅤJames tutted. "So testy."

ㅤFor good measure, James poked a finger between Alex's furrowed eyebrows. Alex quickly slapped it away in a panic, glaring.

ㅤ"Stop touching me."

ㅤ"Does it make you anxious?"

ㅤThe muscle in Alex's clenched jaw makes a familiar appearance and James has to resist poking that too.

ㅤ"Wouldn't you be anxious?" Alex growled, deflecting the question.

ㅤJames slowly grinned. "No. I would cut that person's hand off."

ㅤ"Like that's an option for me."

ㅤ"It could be," James bargained, "what could I do about it? Fight back? I want my damn sword."

ㅤ"I have never had a prisoner try to convince me to slice off his hand before. You're making a compelling case for me."

ㅤ"Well, I'm unique." James shrugged, resting the back of his head into hands.

ㅤAlex didn't say anything more and James pulled back for a few minutes, allowing for Alex to regain his composure. This verbal assault required a push and retreat, otherwise Alex really would snap. That would ruin the fun.

ㅤ"So, how come you're not married?" he asked later.

ㅤAlex side-eyed him. "Even if I was married, I wouldn't tell you about it."