XVIII

A skip in his step, James found and dragged a loose maid along with him to set up the bath, the woman getting caught up in their storm

A skip in his step, James found and dragged a loose maid along with him to set up the bath, the woman getting caught up in their storm. Alex was silent behind him, giving only short answers when spoken to, but it didn't dampen James' spirits. He couldn't tell if he was thrilled from his sparring or because of the company.

ㅤIt was inevitable that James would feel out of sorts after seeing the same person so often when he was so used to being alone. For him, a conversation was a passing exchange with a stranger, never a recurring pleasure. His throat was sore from speaking so much over the last few days and he looked forward to seeing Alex again every time, it was a treat. It was like getting a taste of sugar after years without, he kept wanting another lick.

ㅤHe now understood why his mentor tried to remain as emotionally distant from him as possible, it too was addicting to let go of; too colourful and delightful.

ㅤThe maid beckoned some other servants to help assist them as they went. Although the palace had running water, it still had to be heated elsewhere. James was used to bathing in icy temperatures and wouldn't have minded too much, but it would have looked strange if he'd stopped them and said; 'actually, no, don't give me warm water, I want my skin to turn blue'.

ㅤThey set him up in his ensuite, the water steaming and smelling like some kind of flower, the aroma perfectly tailored to be pleasant but not feminine. The maids had dumped all sorts of petals in the tub. James frowned and reached into the water, pulling out a twig. He had no idea why half that stuff was in there but he thanked them nonetheless.

ㅤAlex impressed James. James was deliberately being provocative and if he hadn't been constantly searching for signs of discomfort of the man, he wouldn't have found any.

ㅤ"Don't you knights all share the same bath between a dozen of you?" James asked wryly as he got undressed. The maids had all left and Alex was leaning against the wall on the other side of the doorway, leaving the door wide open and a shoulder in view.

ㅤ"You're the king's guest, how could I watch?"

ㅤIt was a good excuse, James had to admit.

ㅤ"I thought you had to keep an eye on me at all times. You shouldn't trust me enough to spare me privacy." James warned him, he meant it.

ㅤ"I trust my ability, not you."

ㅤHe wasn't sure why Alex was so skittish and cagey about their mutual attraction. Sure, the revelation had come as a surprise to James himself, but it wasn't world-ending. It certainly wasn't something to repress himself over, Alex's behaviour was too tempting for James not to poke havoc.

ㅤJames allowed himself to sink in the water, sighing in pleasure. He'd forgotten what a hot bath felt like, the smooth cocoon easing the tension in his muscles. He couldn't let himself get too comfortable with those small luxuries. A wolf doesn't yearn to be a dog for as long as it avoids humans. Knowing what comfort he could have would only make him feel dissatisfied once he returned to the streets.