XI

Despite James' normal chatty disposition, he remained quiet for the rest of the day

Despite James' normal chatty disposition, he remained quiet for the rest of the day. Maybe it was to stop himself from accidentally revealing more private information, or maybe he just got bored of trying to get a reaction. Alex did not know which, but it left an awkward atmosphere in its wake and Alex found himself more bored than he had been the day before.

ㅤInstead, James spent his time spinning a stick between his fingers like a knife, skillfully passing from one hand to the other, like it was easy. It made Alex nervous enough that he considered retying James' hands but then wondered what the point would be; he'd break free and Alex would suffer the retaliation.

ㅤ"We should stop at this village." James said all of a sudden.

ㅤAlex didn't respond, confused. It made more sense a few minutes later when the path became more worn and the trees began to open up slightly. He could smell smoke wafting from the distance.

ㅤAlex gave James a pointed look, clearly he knew the path better than Alex did.

ㅤ"We don't need to stop." Alex responded, dismissing the suggestion.

ㅤJames let out a derogatory snort.

ㅤ"What the hell is your problem?" Alex hissed.

ㅤJames levelled a glare at him. "My problem is that raging stick up your arse. The horses are tired, arsehole."

ㅤ"They're fine." Alex grounded out.

ㅤ"Just because you enjoy burning your candle at both ends doesn't mean you can exploit others with the same expectations. Just fucking chill and take that stick out, yeah? You're an absolute tyrant."

ㅤAlex tensed in the welling of anger. "This tyrant is breaking every rule in the book for your comfort. On my fucking head. You can't throw a tantrum every time you don't get your way."

ㅤ"Are you going to do it or not?" James snapped.

ㅤThe anger surged like a wave and then fell again, replaced with a lethargic futility. James had seemed entirely unimpressed with his outburst; but Alex was fatigued and in constant close quarters with danger, it was no wonder he was cranky.

ㅤAlex looked at the horses, their breaths heavy and their walking slow and lousy.

ㅤ"Fine."

ㅤJames appeared satisfied, rolling the stick between his thumb and finger which poked out of the tangle of bandages. "People normally pay to get my advice, you know? You're piling up quite the debt."

ㅤ"I never asked for it, conman." Alex muttered.

ㅤJames shrugged and said nothing more so they continued in silence with nothing but the clopping of hooves on dirt and stone to fill the air.

ㅤ"Thanks." James murmured, out of the blue.

ㅤAlex flashed him a confused yet apprehensive look.

ㅤ"For breaking the rules for me." James elaborated, flexing his fingers over the twig, "I feel nervous when my hands are trapped."