LI

"The bastards," Alex cursed, kicking the ground in frustration

ㅤ"Maybe the horses just wandered off," Thomas weakly suggested.

ㅤAlex picked up one of the ropes and held it up. "So, you're telling me the hoofed creatures undid all of these on their own? Be rational. They've been nicked, Thomas."

ㅤ"Can you see any prints?" James shouted.

ㅤAlex glanced up, James was leaning out of the window to their room, surveying the scene from up high.

ㅤ"No," Thomas replied, "the ground was soft last night because of the rain, but there's nothing."

ㅤ"Means they were taken through the town," James concluded. "There are probably witnesses. Hold on."

ㅤJames vanished for a moment, talking to someone behind him, and then, much to their shock, he swung a leg over the window sill, straddling it. James threw his sword down for Alex to catch, the relic staggeringly heavy in his arms. He was amazed that James could swing such a weight around with such grace and ease.

ㅤAlex thought his heart would stop when James casually fell off the side, but the assassin quickly caught himself with one hand on the sill, the muscles in his arm and shoulders straining, before quickly descending.

ㅤ"Showing off?" Thomas commented. "Couldn't you just use the front door?"

ㅤ"Would've taken me longer," James argued. Then, he winked at Alex, who remained unimpressed... in theory. In practice, he was staring at James' arms, a heat threatening to pulse through him.

ㅤNo wonder James was so fit.

ㅤAlex instead opted to look up at the window. "Are they still in bed?" he asked, quieting his voice.

ㅤJames winced and nodded, bringing much disappointment to them.

ㅤ"Riley is awake but he's just staring at the wall. Fletcher, though, he's..." James looked back in concern, "well, he's still in bed."

ㅤThomas glanced nervously at Alex. "Don't you think we should let him rest?"

ㅤIt was clear that Thomas expected him to rebuff the suggestion, which made him feel guilty. Alex hadn't been very sensitive and now his team was walking on eggshells around him.

ㅤ"We need him to go through the documents," Alex replied, "but... I suppose James and I could take a punt at it first. We should let him rest for a little while."

ㅤThomas' shoulders relaxed in relief, which only made Alex feel worse. "And what about Riley?"

ㅤ"I can drown him in the lake," James suggested.

ㅤ"Not helpful, James," Thomas groused.

ㅤ"Hey, careful," James warned him, "I outrank you, remember?"