LXXVIII

Although recess had been ordered, hardly any of the Senate's occupiers left the chamber

Although recess had been ordered, hardly any of the Senate's occupiers left the chamber. Clambouring in a frenzy, the senators and audience bounced around from group to group like fleas, feeling others out and clawing for more information.

ㅤ"Did you see his arm?" one group yapped behind Alex.

ㅤ"This is a bloody outrage!" another separate senator cried, slicing the air with his arm.

ㅤAlex glared at his threaded hands, squeezing tightly. The noise, the arguments, it rattled inside his skull.

ㅤ"We should withhold judgement—"

ㅤ"But doesn't he look an awful lot like—"

ㅤ"What's King William playing at—"

ㅤRight behind his head, one of his colleagues grumbled: "It's been so long. Why even bother coming back now?"

ㅤAlex couldn't handle it anymore.

ㅤ"I'm leaving," he told Thomas, standing.

ㅤThomas grimaced. "That's a good idea."

ㅤThe commotion chased after them as they both exited into the corridor. Alex was surprised by the emptiness but, a little distance away, two Ankaid senators were huddled in quick discussion and cautiously took notice of their new company. They made eye contact before quickly turning their backs.

ㅤ"I don't even know what to say..." Thomas said, glancing back at the Senate chamber with a deepening frown. From the exhaustion that aged Thomas' face, the other knight looked both pristine in his ceremonial attire and haggard with his sunken eyes.

ㅤAlex grunted in response, a quietness taking him.

ㅤThe muffled storm of the reveal raged on heavily, coldly washing away any hope of feeling triumphant. Alex's goal had always been saving as many people as he could and James had become necessary in that. Yet, even though it was impossible to turn back now, instead of feeling relieved, there was an emptiness prying in his chest.

ㅤPutting himself on display for others to tear holes in him, James had burned so radiantly like gold whilst shouldering that scrutiny all alone. James had been like the sun and Alex had been tragically absorbed by the painful sight of him.

ㅤ"I don't think there is anything to say," Alex muttered. "We witnessed it all."

ㅤ"It's one thing to know, but... he really is a prince."

ㅤAlex recalled that aureate image. "It's another thing to see it, isn't it?"

ㅤ"Yeah... He looked fine, though."

ㅤ"He did appear that way."

ㅤFine and straight-faced; arrogant, even. James had taken the floor like no one was more deserving of being there, commanding others' attention like a king. Even though he was just a man, he'd regarded the mere mortals like they were eyesores.