X

"What's this?" James asked, leaning against a tree for shade

ㅤJay grinned, holding out a vial at him. "It's for you."

ㅤSuspicious, James narrowed his eyes at the man. He hesitantly took the flask from him, inspecting the outside. There were no obvious markings in the baked clay, so James opened it and gave it a sniff.

ㅤIt smelled bitter and green.

ㅤHe turned the questioning gaze to Jay.

ㅤ"Where's my thank you?" Jay groused, holding his palms out. "This is a breakthrough in herbology— an expensive one at that!"

ㅤJames didn't look impressed. "You haven't even told me what it is."

ㅤ"It's to fix your creepy fucking lookin' eyes, kid."

ㅤJames had spent the last year living far from any conurbation or village. It wasn't long after Jay found him that Fabian started his campaign against people with red eyes, regardless of their age. It wasn't that he ordered for them to be captured, he ordered for their immediate deaths when found. Men, women, children, it did not matter. He was being meticulously thorough; and the message was received loud and clear.

ㅤJames felt a familiar sting in his chest that he tried to push away.

ㅤDespite the circumstances surrounding James, his appearance, his wounds, Jay never asked a single question about it. It wasn't out of politeness, either, James took comfort in knowing that the man truly did not care. The only thing he gave a toss about was lining his pockets.

ㅤ"It means you can finally start helping me with my work. You have a big debt to start repaying me for."

ㅤ"Oh yeah, because I've seriously enjoyed getting battered every day." James rolled his eyes, but even if he said that, he was thankful.

ㅤEven though they weren't friends, they were comfortable with each other. James only followed Jay against his will to get Eris back, but they both eventually saw the mutual benefit from it. He wasn't seeking a fatherly-figure from the murderer, nor was he seeking a companion.

ㅤJames thumbed the vial, unsure how he felt about it.

ㅤ"So, what do I do with it?"

ㅤHe was looking forward to getting to see a mug that wasn't as ugly as Jay's.

➵ ➵ ➵ ➵

James watched Alex struggle pathetically with the fire, and made no attempt to help. He sat at the back of the wagon, enjoying himself. After such a boring, yet tiring, day, James thought it would be okay to indulge in some light entertainment.

ㅤ"I bet that dude Fabian, who doesn't even know how to wipe his own arse, could light a better fire than you." James ridiculed him.

ㅤHe could see that Alex was looking up at him from the ground, but he had no idea with what expression. He imagined Alex was probably glaring at him.