LXIX

Riley breathed in deeply, his eyes falling shut

Riley breathed in deeply, his eyes falling shut. His face was warm with the sunlight, it glowed on him gently, ebbing away the morning chill and melting the mist. Birds chirped, leaves rustling as they hopped and glided from one tree to the next. It was a peaceful day. Spring had begun.

ㅤSome laughter sojourned the air. It wasn't intrusive, just noticeable.

ㅤRiley gazed out through the gardens towards the noise. Frost powdered the shadows, under the whisps of fog, sparkling like little jewels where the sun hadn't yet touched to steal them. Khearia was green and lush in the spring but, right then, it had been soaked in a blueish early morning light.

ㅤPrince Edric was roaming by the bushes, his guard on his heel. Riley felt his heart warm as he stared.

ㅤCold hands suddenly zapped his neck and Riley flailed, snapping around in accusation.

ㅤ"Don't do that!"

ㅤLlwyd grinned, reaching out to try again. Riley smacked his hands away and then gripped his sword's handle in warning, raising his eyebrows in challenge. Llwyd sniggered at the overreaction.

ㅤ"You looked far too happy," Llwyd teased. "I needed to ruin your day."

ㅤ"Seeing your face would've been enough."

ㅤ"I'm a high achiever. Ambitious."

ㅤ"Go play with your granny, drewgi."

ㅤRiley's eyes drifted over to Prince Edric and his guard again. The two of them were talking, smiling easily about something. Riley was a little jealous; Prince Maurice wasn't as pleasant to be around.

ㅤLlwyd rested his elbow on Riley's shoulder, coming beside him to see what he was looking at. He hummed.

ㅤ"Who is that?"

ㅤ"Prince Edric," Riley said flatly.

ㅤLlwyd laughed. "Prick. Your name still suits you, you wry motherfucker."

ㅤ"I know you're a little stupid. Sod off, will you?"

ㅤ"I want to know what you're being so cagey about."

ㅤIt was at that moment that Prince Edric's guard noticed them. The man's face lit up, warmer than the sun. He smiled at Riley, familiar dimples etched into his cheeks, waving.

ㅤRiley waved back.

ㅤ"What's his name?" his cousin asked.

ㅤRiley side-eyed him. Llwyd smiled innocently.

ㅤ"Simon."

ㅤLlwyd snaked his arms around the top of both of his shoulders, bending his elbow around Riley's neck. He pulled him, trying to disrupt his balance. It did well in dissipating the tension Riley felt.

ㅤ"Stop!" he complained, trying to break free.

ㅤ"How long have you known him?"

ㅤRiley narrowed his eyes but it didn't seem Llwyd had any malicious intent. No, he seemed genuinely curious.