LV

James sat on the foot of his bed next to the open window, leaning against the cool wall, enjoying the slight breeze

James sat on the foot of his bed next to the open window, leaning against the cool wall, enjoying the slight breeze. He smiled to himself, aching in places that were unfamiliar to him. Alex had fallen asleep there before James had returned from his bath, hugging a pillow under his arm.

ㅤHe'd been worried that Alex would have nightmares, resting away from the dreamcatcher, but Alex had slept peacefully, his breaths deep, steady and slow.

ㅤJames was tired, but his heart raced too quickly to rest. Alex had never left himself so vulnerable around James before— not when they were alone. He'd never slept when it was just the two of them. It was thrilling.

ㅤA familiar choir of laughter rumbled outside in the distance. James watched three shadowy figures approaching the inn under the streetlights. He was invisible to them from their darkened room.

ㅤHe sighed quietly. They were tipsy and rowdy and they were going to wake Alex up once they got in.

ㅤHe gently caressed Alex's leg through the blanket. The other man twitched.

ㅤ"Hey," he whispered.

ㅤAlex grunted incomprehensibly and pushed his face deeper into the pillow.

ㅤ"The others are coming back," James explained, "they'll see you sleeping in my bed."

ㅤIn his sleepy haze, Alex didn't seem to remember that he cared, remaining where he was. James considered his job done and didn't push the issue further.

ㅤThe door opened. Thomas entered first, holding a candle, lighting the room just enough to see James sitting up and watching them. He startled.

ㅤ"You scared me."

ㅤJames didn't bother to react nor reply, staring blankly.

ㅤ"He's not dead, is he?" Thomas asked, pointing at the lifeless body of Alex.

ㅤ"Are you guarding him?" Riley laughed incredulously, surveying the scene. "Are you a dog?"

ㅤ"Be quiet," James grumbled. "You're annoying. We're trying to sleep."

ㅤ"Uh, huh." Riley nodded, unconvinced. He waved a hand at his face. "What's up with your lip and neck?"

ㅤ"I got into a fight. You should've seen the other guy."

ㅤThomas knocked Riley's shoulder. "Have some tact," he hissed. "And quieten your voice."

ㅤ"If you guys are ever this loud again, and I'm still 'sleeping', just consider me dead," Alex's muffled voice said, deep and gravelly.

ㅤHe sat up, his eyes unable to open the whole way, blinking slowly in a daze. He tried to rub them awake, looking around like he wasn't entirely sure where he was.

ㅤ"Were you in this fight, too?" Riley joked, stepping out of the way so Thomas could guide a very sleepy Fletcher to his bed.

ㅤFletcher fell onto the mattress face-first and didn't move beyond that, one of his legs hanging off the edge. Thomas picked it up onto the bed, then untied the scholar's hair and removed his shoes, trying to make him comfortable.