XXXIX

Wringing out the water from his shirt, Alex left a damp trail behind him as they walked back towards the inn

Wringing out the water from his shirt, Alex left a damp trail behind him as they walked back towards the inn. His bare feet slapped against the cold stone paving, the cool air soaking through his skin as the heavy garments pulled on him. His jacket and shoes were rolled into a ball that he carried under his arm, dripping like the rest of him.

ㅤJames had the advantage of being shirtless, the cold not clinging to him quite as stubbornly, unshy in wearing nothing but his wet trousers. He carried Eris in his bare hand, the rest of his clothes clumped together, similar to Alex's. It was a sight Alex got to appreciate every time they passed a lamp, the orange flame catching the edges and definition of his impressive muscular frame. Alex had seen it many times now, but it wasn't a sight he ever got bored of.

ㅤAlex had sobered up significantly but James still seemed to be under the noticeable influence of alcohol, murmuring an unfamiliar tune as they strolled.

ㅤ"What are you humming?" Alex asked.

ㅤJames kept his eyes forward but smiled mischievously. "Come out and stand your ground, you bird-faced gnashgab excuses of a man," he sang, a skip in his tone.

ㅤAlex appreciated James' energy in good humour. "A marching song, huh? It's a little sexist, is it not?"

ㅤ"Comes from the north. They treat women differently up there."

ㅤAlex hummed. "I know. I am a Lord from Maystair, remember? The Duke and Duchess are from up there, I've seen it all."

ㅤ"I remember," James confirmed happily. "I always found it weird that the north has that attitude even though they border the Espar Empire." James then remarked. "Espar uses female soldiers but northern women are regarded delicately. Whereas the south, which borders the polygamist Ashad, has a lot of strong-willed women. I almost think the north and south should be switched around to make more sense."

ㅤ"I thought you didn't care about politics and social issues."

ㅤJames snorted. "Politics? Stab me. Social issues, though, that's very much up my street."

ㅤ"They're basically the same," Alex claimed. He believed it to an extent, but he'd wanted to tease James.

ㅤJames didn't rise to the bait. A small smile on his lips signalled to Alex that James was aware of what he tried to do. "I never claimed to be a consistent man."

ㅤAlthough a vague response, it was true. James wasn't very consistent, at all. Sometimes he lied, sometimes he told the truth; but it was seemingly randomised, it made it difficult to get a real grasp on him. He was unique.

ㅤTwo ladies squealed by them as they crossed paths, the women whispering to each other and giggling over their shoulders at them. Alex couldn't tell if they found amusement in their soaking appearance or were appreciating James, possibly both.

ㅤJames must have heard it, but he pretended he hadn't; instead, he kept happily murmuring that battle song to himself. Why a battle song, though? It suddenly struck Alex as foreboding.