The Lab

Tony was fighting back his disappointment. It wasn't that he wasn't glad about having a soulmate. He was actually rather ecstatic that he had a soulmate. But he hadn't realized how much he had held onto his fathers' idea that his soulmate would be a house cat until this rabbit had come along.

Not to mention. . . what did you do with a rabbit? He remembered when Happy had turned into a dog way before Tony was ever eighteen. He had been a dog for quite a few years before Pepper had come along.

He remembered that Pepper and Happy- who had been under the name 'Colonel' at the time- had done a lot together. They'd played fetch, she'd relax with him in the shade. They were sometimes even rough with each other. It had only take three months or so for Happy to become human again and two more months before he'd proposed and another three months before they were happily married.

But a rabbit?

"Jarvis, run diagnostics." He commanded.

A cat, well you couldn't do as much with a cat that you did with a dog. But there were still toys to play with them, and great cuddles.

Could you cuddle with a rabbit?

Pumpkins' diagnostics popped up on the screen. It was a lot worse than he'd thought. There were a lot of fractures along the ribs and it seemed as though she was covered in bruises.

"Tony, what does all of that mean?" Pepper asked, looking at the diagnostic, seeing all of the tiny black scratches and purple blobs.

"It means we're going to have to take her to a vet." Tony sighed. "Bruising everywhere, tiny fractures as well."

"She's been through the mill." Pepper finished for him, nodding her head. "Look, I can take her to the vet and you get some rest. You're not supposed to be stressing yourself out."

"She's my soulmate." Tony sighed, but also knowing that perhaps some time without the rabbit around would give him enough time to come to terms with everything without having to worry about her seeing him react.

"And she's in very good hands." Pepper promised him. "You look exhausted. Take some of your sleep medicine and get some sleep."

Pepper turned to the rabbit. "Alright Pumpkin, let's get you to the vet now, hmm?"

Why did Pepper have to be so good with animals? Tony Stark wasn't good with anything but play girls. He wasn't good with normal people, he was to abrasive. And he had never been good with animals in general.

He groaned as she left, the door swinging closed softly behind her. He ran a hand over his face, feeling frustrated.

He looked at everything in the lab, his chest throbbing. He was running on borrowed time, he knew that. He couldn't just lay in bed all day, that wasn't him.

He got up out of the wheelchair and said, "Jarvis, let's get to work."

🎃::::: 🧡 ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ 🧡 :::::🎃

You were sitting upon Pepper's lap in the passenger seat of a nice car. Her soulmate, Happy was his name, was driving. They were holding hands across the aisle and they were chatting about normal stuff. Mostly about Tony, your new soulmate, deciding to turn Stark enterprises from a weapons industry into something more peaceful.

You had heard about Tony Stark of course. Who hadn't? Billionaire, notorious playboy, now a philanthropist. You knew from the news that he'd recently just gotten back from being held captive in Afghanistan.

You were surprised he hadn't already met his soulmate. You felt like that would have been something the news would have jumped on. Actually, once you started appearing with him in places- if he took you along with him, he didn't seem all that happy with you- you would become a topic of conversation.