Taken Down

"All our work is gone." Bruce said.

You had all relocated to Tony and Bruce's lab. You were sitting in a chair with an ice pack against your throat while Natasha sat in the corner with Everleigh. Steve had his arms crossed, leaning against the wall near your seat.

"Ultron cleared out. He used the Internet as an escape hatch."

"Ultron." Steve scoffed under his breath.

"He's been in everything." You said, looking through the files. "Files, surveillance."

"Probably knows more about us than we know about each other." Natasha added, getting up from Everleigh, crossing her arms over her chest.

"He's in your files, he's in the Internet." Rhodey said. He had gotten rid of the suit, holding his arm in his hand. "What if he decides to access something a little more exciting?"

"Nuclear codes." Maria said, pulling glass out of her foot.

"Nuclear codes." Rhodey confirmed. "Look, we need to make some calls, assuming we still can."

"Nukes? He said he wanted us dead." Natasha said.

"He didn't say 'dead'. He said 'extinct'." Steve retorted.

"He also said he killed somebody." Clint said.

"There wasn't anyone else in the building." Maria replied.

"Yes, there was." Tony said, finally turning away from the destroyed robot, coming to stand by Bruce. He flicked something from his thin tablet, a crumpled orange sphere of light. Broken and stuttering. You leaned forward, recognition and sorrow coming through you.

"What?" Bruce asked, walking forward, almost standing in Jarvis' sphere. "This is insane."

"Jarvis was the first line of defense." Steve said. "He would have shut Ultron down, it makes sense."

"No. Ultron could have assimilated Jarvis. This isn't strategy. This is rage."

"Well yeah!" You retorted, voice a little higher than normal out of fear just as Thor entered the room. "Haven't you seen the movies? Terminator? The Matrix? M3GEN? Why would anyone make a robot, make AI that can think and act for itself?"

No one answered though as Thor grabbed Tony around the throat, lifting him off the ground.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" Rhodey protested.

"It's going around." Clint said without sympathy.

You leapt to your feet, rushing forward, but Rhodey caught your arms, pulling you back to him.

"Come on, use your words buddy." Tony choked out.

"I have more than enough words to describe you, Stark." Thor threatened.

"Thor! The Legionnaire." Steve commanded in a sharp voice, bending down and picking up the ice pack that you had lost on your way to Tony. You completely ignored Steve, Rhodey, and Thor, rushing to Tony's side. He wrapped an arm around your waist, kissing the top of your head apologetically.

"Trail went cold about one hundred miles out, but it's headed north." Thor said. "And it has the scepter. Now we have to retrieve it, again."

"Genie's out of that bottle." Natasha replied. "Clear and present is Ultron."

"I don't understand." Helen suddenly said. You looked to see that she was leaning over one of the destroyed bodies now. "You built this program. Why is it trying to kill us?"

Tony started to laugh and you closed your eyes. Bruce shook his head at Tony.

"You think this is funny?" Thor asked.