Furious with Fury

"Lacerated Spinal column, cracked sternum, shattered collarbone, perforated liver, and one hell of a headache." Fury rambled off his injuries.

"Don't forget your collapsed lung." The doctor who was treating Natasha's shoulder said. He was also making you sit in a chair with Steve pressing a wad of gauze against your hip wound. News flash! You actually had been shot in the bus and just hadn't noticed it. Apparently you were great at blocking out pain.

"Let's not forget that." Fury agreed sardonically. "Otherwise, I'm good."

"They cut you open. Your heart stopped." Natasha whispered.

"Tetrodotoxin B." Fury explained and you nodded almost to yourself. "Slows the pulse to one beat a minute. Banner developed it for stress. Didn't work so great for him, but we found a use for it."

"Why all the secrecy? Why not just tell us?" Steve asked angrily.

"Any attempt on the Director's life had to look successful." Maria answered for Fury.

"Can't kill you if you're already dead." Fury said, almost sounding cheerful about it. "Besides, I wasn't sure who to trust."

🎃::::: 🧡 ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ 🧡 :::::🎃

"Speak to me Tony." You mumbled quietly on the private phone of Maria Hill. It couldn't be traced at all so you felt secure enough to use it.

"I traced this guy through the cameras. He's in some sort of church on the corner of Marx and 10th." Tony rambled into the phone. "I've hacked the cameras that I can. They've got some sort of underground base there, with a machine which he's in. They've said something about prepping him and wiping him. Y/N, I think they're taking his memories."

"That makes sense." You mumbled sadly. "Steve said it was as though he didn't recognize him."

"Howard used to talk about him too." Tony said, "I have a file here with all sorts of information. Sergeant James Buchannan Barnes. Part of the 107th Infantry Regiment during the war. Soulmated to Steve Rogers. He has a disciplinary charge in the army. Howard made a note about it. Apparently he and Steve got into a brawl when he found out that Steve and Peggy had fallen in love. Howard thought they might work out a poly relationship after Bucky calmed down. It looked promising too, except that Bucky fell off the train."

"Bloody hell." You muttered. "God Tony, I feel so bad for the both of them. Steve finding his soulmate but not being able to be with him. And Bucky. . . he doesn't want this, does he?"

Tony inhaled sharply. "He's screaming right now. He let them do it to him, he's being compliant, but he's in pain Y/N. I don't think that's something you should tell Steve though."

"No, probably not." You said, glancing over your shoulder. Fury was out of bed, talking to the others. "Tony, I-"

You stopped. You weren't sure if you wanted to tell him how useless you felt.

No secrets.

"I feel useless. I haven't done anything productive on this trip except be a body that Steve has to protect."

"You're not useless Y/N." Tony said. "If anything, I am. I can't be there, I can't be fighting."

"You're not S.H.I.E.L.D." You pointed out. "But Cap is and Nat is and even I am because I'm an Agent here. You're free. Be glad for that."

"None of you should be part of that." Tony said and you thought he sounded almost angry. "We were supposed to be the Avengers. Not, some of us are Avengers only at certain points of time while the other half get to save the life every single day!"