I'm Not Okay

"Hey." Sam said, when Stephen finally answered his call. "Where are you right now?"

"I'm just about to pull out of the garage." Stephen answered, slightly lying as he attached the watch to his wrist and looking at himself in the mirror. It was the watch that Sam had given him for his birthday and he treasured it, though he rarely told Sam that. "Do you want me to pick you up."

"I'm already here." Sam answered and now Stephen could hear the sounds of the party behind him. "You know you're the one receiving the award tonight, right? You should be on time to these things."

"I'm the one that tonights for." Stephen smirked as he grabbed his car keys and headed for the garage now. "They can afford to wait for me."

He heard Sam sigh on the other side of the phone and he said, "Cheer up. I'll be there before you know it."

"Drive safe." Sam said in that warning voice of his. Hanging with superheroes was definitely making him goody two shoes.

"I'll do my best." Stephen said. "See you soon."

"Yeah." Sam said and hung up.

Stephen jumped in the car and sped out onto the streets.

🎃::::: 🧡 ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ 🧡 :::::🎃

When Stephen woke up, he felt a soft, warm hand on his shoulder. But that was the only warmth. Everything else was either numb or in pain. He could only open one eye and he opened it to see Sam sitting in the chair beside him.

"Hey." Sam's voice was rough and Stephen knew that he'd probably been crying. "It's okay. It's gonna be okay."

He looked at his arms, which were resting in slings. There were needles in his hands and what felt like a thousand stitches. "What d- What did they do?"

"They rushed you in a chopper. But it took a little while to find you." Sam's voice was shaky again. "From what little I understood, the golden hours for nerve damage went by while you were in the car."

"What did they do?" Stephen asked again, his voice croaky. It hurt to talk but he was horrified with how his hands looked. His once perfect hands.

"Eleven stainless steel pins in the bones." Sam finally answered him. "Multiple torn ligaments, severe nerve damage in both hands. You were on the table for e-eleven hours." Sam cleared his throat, looking down so Stephen didn't see the tears that were probably falling from his eyes.

"Look at these fixators."

"No one could have done better."

Stephen groaned in pain, looking over at his soulmate. "I could have done better."

🎃::::: 🧡 ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ 🧡 :::::🎃

Sam paced outside the hospital doors, dreading going in. He could hear Stephen behind the door, telling the doctors that they had ruined him. Sam pushed his palms against his eyes. They saved his life. What more could he want?

Sam knew Stephen's career was over, but that was okay. Sam had plenty of money saved up. It wouldn't be enough to keep Stephen's multi-million apartment, but they could get a slightly bigger house than the one Sam was staying in right now. Especially if Sam took care of Stephen's hospital bills with Stephen's money and then took in the rest of Stephen's net worth.

He wished he had thought to control Stephen's money spending better. Watches he didn't need, expensive suits, expensive cars, money blown instead of saved.