Chapter 5: Landon

"Thanks for driving." I say from the passenger seat of Connor's 1993 Teal Mustang.

"How long have your car privileges been revoked?" Connor asks.

"Hell if I know. I hope my dad will give me back my keys before Monday."

The night of Amber's end of summer party, Samantha and I had gotten into a big argument. I smoked some weed with Spencer and a few other guys to blow off steam, losing track of time in the process. My father wasn't happy I had come home high at just after 3am and took away my keys.

"Well you better hope you get your car back soon because you aren't going to fuck Olivia in my car," Connor laughs. "How's that been going anyway. When is the last time you talked to her?"

"Last night, we've been talking on the phone a lot."

"Talking on the phone a lot?" Connor asks in a puzzled voice. "I thought the goal was to bang her, not turn soft and talk on the phone all the time like you two are girlfriends."

I side eye Connor. "Says the guy who watches Lifetime movies with his mom and sister. It's Television for women is literally it's slogan." I swear sometimes it feels like he's putting on a front.

Connor waves his hand dismissively.

"Anyway." I continue, "It's all part of my plan to score with her." While, yes, this is part of my plan to win her over, the truth is I enjoy talking to her. She's just easy to talk to and we've spent the last four nights talking on the phone for hours. "I'm telling you Connor she isn't like other girls. She isn't impressed by money. She's the good girl type, not quick to give it up. She's not going to jump in bed with me after one date like other girls."

"Maybe you should call off the bet."

"Why?"

"You say she's a good girl, why not just leave it alone."

"Spencer isn't going to let me out of this. The only way out is paying up and I'm NOT letting him win. If he does, you know I'll never hear the end of it."

***

We pull into Skate Towne at 7:09 and the parking lot is packed, there's a line out the door.

"Damn, this place is bumpin'," Connor states.

We get in line, our roller blades in hand. I tried to dress down tonight, in jeans and an Abercrombie and Fitch t-shirt, instead of my usual khakis and Polo shirt. The line moves quickly, and we're inside within a few minutes. I look around.

"Do you see her anywhere?" I ask.

Connor looks around, "Oh there she is," he points at a bi-racial girl in the line getting skates.

"That's not her. Geez dude."

"Sorry, I thought it was her," he shrugs.

I walk over to a half-wall over looking the rink and quickly spot her. She's dressed differently then the other two times I've seen her. The other times she wore baggy jeans and oversized shirts. Tonight, she has on Daisy Duke shorts, white knee-high socks and a white t-shirt with her name airbrushed in purple.

I watch her skate for a moment. She's with a guy and he's skating behind her. They have on matching shirts, almost like they're a couple. Her arms are in the air and the boy is smiling and holding onto her waist. Well, this was a waste of time. I step away from the wall, I turn around the find Connor has already put on his roller blades.

"I'm going to get a locker, you coming?" Connor asks.

"I found her, and she's skating with some guy who had his hands all over her."