Chapter 44: Landon

Inauguration Party Night

Tigger Warning: Abuse

After Connor and Olivia leave the group, the conversation grows quite uncomfortable. Mr. Harrington gives a few concerned stares, as he slowly pieces together what's happening before him. Irene seems unaware of my father's fury and keeps firing off questions to me about Olivia. How did we meet and how long had we been dating. Did she go to Prestonwood Academy. With each question asked, my father grows more enraged. Finally, Mrs. Harrington whisks Olivia's mother away from my father's growing frustration.

We get home and walk into the foyer; my father immediately begins to unbuckle his belt. Irene tries to stop him, but he effortlessly shoves her down in a chair, and she's too inebriated to fight back. My father hasn't whipped me since I entered high school, but he breaks that streak tonight. I should fight back. Grab his arm and wrestle the belt from his hand, I'm just as strong as him for Christ sake, but the moment I feel the first lash of the leather belt on my back I'm transported back to my ten-year-old self, too terrified to move, and trying not to scream so hopefully it would be over faster.

He wheels his arm back, "You're a fucking disgrace!" The belt snaps on my flesh. A stinging sensation races across my back and I yelp like a wounded dog. "You're an embarrassment to this family." The leather strap continues to reign down on me, and I crumble to my knees at the bottom of the staircase. "You have brought shame upon me." The belt cuts into my skin with each strike. "I can't believe you humiliated me!" It continues to crash over me. By the seventh or eighth hit, it feels like I'm on fire. My heart is pounding in my ears, and I'm still paralyzed.

"Benjamin," Irene wails. She stumbles over, placing herself between me and my father. "That's enough!" she cries.

From the corner of my eye I see my father's feet and legs ascending the stairway, thick black leather belt trailing at his side.

Irene, tumbles beside me on the stairs. "Landon, are you alright?" she asks, placing her hand on my shoulder.

I start to come to myself, angry that I just stood there a took it. "I'm fine. Don't touch me," I scowl, wrongfully taking my resentment out on her. She too has suffered at the hands of Benjamin Sullivan via the occasional open palm across the face. The verbal degradation, the constant withholding of affection when she fails to uphold his standards of a good wife.

I wobble to my feet, the adrenaline rushing through me. I sprint up the stairs to my room and lock the door behind me. I sit with my back against the door, looking at my hands trembling while tear drops coat my palms.

***

"Landon, would you come here for a moment," my father's voice rings out as I walk past his office as I head to school on Monday morning.

"Yes, Dad," I stand in front of his desk with my backpack thrown over one shoulder, being careful not to let it touch the welts on my back. I don't bother to take a seat and he doesn't offer me one.

"I've talked with Charles yesterday and we've decided it's about time you and Fiona start spending time together. After that debacle on Saturday night, it became clear to me that you need guidance in certain life decisions. Fiona is a wonderful girl, and she will make an excellent addition to our family and you to theirs."

"Pardon me?"

"Charles and I go all the way back to Yale Law, just two young men with big dreams of starting a firm together. It's only natural we'd want to see our children together."

"I'm sorry, I don't understand."

"Do I need to spell it out for you," he hisses. "If you think for even a second, I will allow you to continue seeing that mutt you are mistaken. You will not taint our family bloodline by procreating with that thing. You will stop the nonsense with that girl immediately," he repulses. "You will start the courting process with Fiona."