Chapter 43: Olivia

"Connor, I don't have much of an appetite."

"Yeah, I know, I just needed to get you out of there, we'll just get you a ginger ale ok?"

"Can we just go somewhere and get some fresh air?"

He surveys the room quickly and notices the terrace overlooking the golf course. He wraps a friendly arm around me as we exit the room into the chilly night air. We stand in silence as I take several deep breaths.

"Thanks for getting me out of there."

"Don't mention it, I've got your back."

"I just don't get him sometimes."

"Well, I love him like a brother but honestly I don't get him either."

"I can't believe Landon humiliated me in front of everyone."

"Oh, uh--- " he studders.

"Connor please, don't act like the entire group didn't watch him jerk away from me when I held his hand."

He shifts his gaze down, "I don't think anyone noticed," he lies.

"Yeah right, even his own mother looked baffled. He's ashamed to be with me. It's all so clear to me now. That's why he wanted us to keep our distance all night."

"He said you were ok with it. He told me you didn't want to run into his dad."

"I said I didn't want to run into his dad but I thought we'd hang out and if we saw his dad coming over I would just walk away. He insisted we keep apart all night, so I went along with it but what else was I supposed to do? I just can't believe he pulled his hand away like that," I let out a sigh, "I thought we could show a united front and face his father together."

"Well, I'm proud of you. I'm not sure I could have put on a brave face like you did and face the man that said such vile things to me. Landon should have had your back," Connor consoles.

"That man means nothing to me. I refuse to let him hold any kind of power over my life."

Connor gives me a smirk and nods in agreement, "Good for you."

"I'm going to see if my mom is ready to leave, I just want to bury my head in my pillow and scream."

"Yeah, I get it, let's head back in."

***

I quietly look out the window of the Anderson's '92 Oldsmobile Silhouette, my eyes sting as I try to fight back tears. Quan looks back into the third row at me.

"Livy, is everything ok," he says in a whisper.

"I don't want to talk about it," I say, my face still facing outward and we continue the drive home.

"Thank you so much for driving Maurice," my mom states as she steps out of the car.

"Not a problem," he replies.

"Thanks for inviting us, we had such a good time," Mrs. Anderson marvels, "I can't believe I went to a senator's party at THE Prestonwood Country Club. I can't wait to see the look on Barbara's face when I tell her at church tomorrow." Both she and my mom let out a snicker. "Well, Liv my dear you did amazing as always."

"Thanks Mrs. A," I say while trying to put on a smile.

"We'll see you two at church tomorrow," she waves as Maurice begins to back up.

Mama and I make our way into our apartment.

"Olivia, Sweetheart, what is going on? I know you didn't want to talk about it in front of the Andersons, but I need to know what that was all about. Are you and Landon hiding your relationship from his parents?"