Chapter 22: Olivia

"Class, for homework tonight please read chapter 11 and be prepared for a discussion tomorrow," Mrs. Henderson announces a few seconds before the school bell rings.

I shuffle out of my social studies class, down the stairs to my locker. Tanisha comes up and opens her own locker.

"Hey." She stuffs her backpack full of her binders.

"I have way too much homework tonight," I groan. "And I have an English paper due at the end of the week and I haven't even finished my first draft. Plus, I'm on the schedule for tomorrow. I'm so screwed."

"Yeah, I hear ya."

We push through the crowd of students out the building and toward the school bus. I slow my pace when I see Gabby talking to a boy standing near our bus. He's wearing tan khaki pants, a long sleeve white shirt that is folded up his forearms under a burgundy sweater vest. Is that.... I approach the school bus guardedly.

I eye the flowers he's holding, "Landon what are you doing here?"

"Hey Ollie. I just wanted to come apologize about yesterday." He hands me half a dozen pink roses.

I take them from his hand.

"Listen, I made a terrible mistake yesterday--"

"How did you know where to find me?"

"Oh, I asked Connor to find out from Tanisha."

I look over at my bestie.

She throws up her hands defensively, "Hey, I didn't want to tell him at first. I stand by what I said in our conversation yesterday." She folds her arms over her torso, "But Connor said it would probably be really satisfying watching you shoot him down in person," she gives a sly grin, "So I caved."

"I'm sorry," Landon pleads to us. "Seriously, I would have never put you all in that situation had I known."

Tanisha scoffs at him.

"I really care for Olivia. You have to believe me."

Tanisha glares angrily, "If you hurt my girl again, you'll be dealing with me." Wow, if looks could kill.

Landon holds up is hands in defeat, "I don't plan on ever hurting her again, I promise you that."

There's tension in the air, he tries to ease it.

"Here, let me get that." He takes my books from my hand and slides my backpack off my shoulder. "I'll take you home. I'm parked in the student lot."

"Gabby, Tee Tee, I guess I will see y'all tomorrow."

Tanisha gestures two fingers up to her eyes then points her index finger back to Landon.

I giggle, as I wave bye to Gabby and Tanisha. I love that I have a friend that rides hard for me, and me for her.

We walk toward Landon's car. "Did you skip class to get here before I got out?" I sniff the roses in my hand.

"Yea, it's fine though, it was just AP Calculus. I can practically teach that class," he boasts as he opens the passenger door for me.

Such a gentleman. Though Landon does have faults, he has always been such a gentleman on our dates. Opening doors, pulling out my chair and he gives me the most genuine compliments. I love it.

The students stop and stare at me as I stand beside Landon's BMW. I see Quan across the lot grabbing his gym bag out of his trunk, but he doesn't seem to notice me because he's talking to one of his teammates. Just as Landon gets the passenger door open, Trina approaches her '84 Honda CRX which is parked next to us. Though, I know I should ignore her, I shoot her a sly smirk as I ease onto the buttery leather seat of Landon's brand-new beamer. She scowls at me as Landon closes the door and walks around.

Landon hops into the driver's seat, "Ollie sweetie, you were right. I wasn't seeing things from your perspective. I can't even imagine how scary that must have been for you and your friends. I'm really sorry that I didn't take the time to really listen to you and your concerns." Landon takes my hand into his. "Olivia, I do care about you and I'm serious about our relationship. I'm more serious about you than I have ever been with any other girl and that makes me a little nervous. I've never felt like this before, and I don't want to lose you. Ollie baby, will you please forgive me?"

I feel immersed in bliss. Landon had skipped school to come win me back. It's just like the movies. My heart skips a beat as I lay a passionate kiss on his lips. His hand makes its way to the back of my head pulling me closer in. He barely pulls his lips from mine.

"Guess I'll take that as a yes," he teases.

"Yes,baby. I forgive you."