Chapter 54: Olivia

Connor, Courtney and I all hang in the kitchen awaiting instructions from Mrs. Harrington.

"Ok, your father and I are heading out now," Mrs. Harrington tells Connor. "Jenny is spending the night at Sarah's house. Their school history project is due tomorrow and they still needed to work on it."

"Ok," Connor says.

"I tucked Matt in a little while ago and he is asleep. I just need you two to keep an ear open in case he wakes up and needs something."

"Yes, Ma'am," the twins reply.

"Ok, emergency contacts are on the fridge," she kisses Connor's forehead then Courtney's cheek. "and the phone number the restaurant and hotel are posted by the phone."

"I've got it Mom," Connor replies. "We've babysat Matt and Jenny like a million times. Enjoy your dinner."

"As always, you're the man of the house while I'm gone. I'm counting on you, son," Mr. Harrington says.

"Dad, I've got it. I'll do a sweep of the house and make sure everything is locked up before I go to bed."

Mr. Harrington gives Connor a pat on the shoulder then helps Mrs. Harrington into her coat. "We'll be home early morning before school starts," she hugs me, "Goodnight," then slips out the side door.

"Goodnight Mr. and Mrs. Harrington."

"Ok, night Mom, Dad." Connor closes the door and locks up behind them.

Courtney peeks out to make sure her parents have pulled off then takes her car keys from the kitchen drawer, "We'll I'm out."

"And where do you think you're going?" Connor asks in a stern voice.

"Out," she snubs.

"Coourrrt."

"Don't worry little bro, I'll be back before mom and dad."

Connor huffs, "Fine, just be careful please."

"Ok, you two have fun with your movie night," she coos.

With that she skips out the side door. Connor once again locks up.

"Well, looks like it's just us. You ready for movie night?" Connor asks.

"Yeah, let's make popcorn and get the snacks ready," I reply.

He walks to the pantry and pulls out Jiffy Stove Top Popcorn. I gather the candy we got from the gas station earlier this afternoon.

He places the aluminum pan on the stove, "Since I have to watch Matt, maybe we should watch upstairs in my room so we can hear him." The popcorn sizzles and he shakes the pan over the burner as the foil expanse.

"Yeah, that's cool," I agree.

We collect all the food and head upstairs. I've hung out in Connor's room a bunch before but somehow this feels different. Should I sit on the floor or on the bed?

"Let me grab my blanket, be right back," I state.

He nods and I head across the hall to my room, I only came over to buy myself some time to think of what to do. I want to play it cool but over the last few days there has been a shift in our relationship. I had never really given him a second look since I was with Landon, that was his best friend after all, but recently not only have I given him a second look, I've given him a third and fourth as well...

I grab my favorite tie dye blanket and head back into his room. He already has the movie in the VCR and he's sitting on the bed with his broad shoulders and back resting against the headboard. His frame is thin, but his muscles are defined from years of swimming. He pats the spot next to him, "Saved you a spot." He sucks me in with his dark eyes and killer smile.

I nervously climb onto the bed beside him. The bed is only a twin so our shoulders are touching. The bowl of popcorn rests on his lap. I reach for it, "Here you can sit it in the middle if you want."

He holds on tightly to the edges of the bowl, "No, it's--- fine I'll just hold on to it for now."

Oh my gosh is he trying to hide something. I don't know what's gotten into me but I snatch the bowl away and try to get a peek. "No here, I'll take it." I lift the bowl from his lap and sure enough there's a large lump poking from his pajama pants.

He tries to hide the evidence by bending one leg up and resting his forearm on his knee, "Let's get this movie started." He uses his remote to start the movie. The previews play, "I love Tom Hanks," he says. "Landon and I saw Saving Private Ryan over the summer. I can't believe it took me so long to see this one."

"Forrest Gump is one of my favorite Tom Hanks movies," I stuff some popcorn in my mouth. "Have you seen Sleepless In Seattle?"

"No, I haven't."

"We should watch that on our next movie night," I suggest.

"Hold up, shouldn't I get to pick the next movie since you picked this one?" he retorts.

"Ok, guess that's only fair."

"You've Got Mail is still in theaters, we could go see that next week." He suggests coyly, "If you haven't already seen it."

"Nope, I haven't seen it yet," I smile, "so I guess it's a date."

"Good, it's a date," he beams.

The movie starts so we get quiet. My mind is spinning, I just agreed to go on a date with my ex-boyfriend's best friend. I try to keep in mind what Terrence said the other night, I don't owe Landon anything. And if something sparks with me and Connor, that's between them not me. I find it hard to concentrate as our arms and legs touch, creating a thrilling distraction. I wonder what he's thinking about. Is he really watching the movie or is his mind wondering as well.

We reach into the popcorn bowl at the same time. My searching fingertips mistakenly graze his. Our hands hesitate for a moment then our eyes collide. My stomach tingles from his touch. My heart flutters with a nervous anticipation of what this newfound connection may bring. He smiles and playfully pops a few pieces of popcorn into his mouth.

More than half way through the movie I get up for a restroom break, when I come back to the bed I shift my position and lay on my stomach at the foot of the bed. I use one of Connor's pillows to prop up myself and get more comfortable. His pillow smells like HUGO, I tuck the pillow in my arms then place my nose in it to get a sniff. He alters his position from the headboard and lays on his stomach at my left side, playfully maneuvering under my tie dye blanket with me. He crosses his arms and lays his head toward me. I position my body to face him. He watches me.

"Something wrong?" I ask curiously.

"You're absolutely beautiful, you know that? And I don't mean just your looks, I mean you as a whole person. You just have a beautiful nature."

A grin stretches my face so wide my cheeks hurt. I bury my face in his pillow.

"I want to kiss you, Birdie."

My head pops up, no doubt my face is bright red but it's dark and the light from the 13 inch Sylvania is the only thing illuminating the room.

"May I kiss you?" he asks, his voice raspy.

I coyly bite my bottom lip and nod my head yes. We move slowly toward one another.

"MOMMY," Matt cries out from the hallway.

Connor pulls away before our lips meet. He gets up from his bed and goes out into the hall.