Bonus: Quan

I walk into the auditorium to sit down with my mother and Olivia's mother. It's the opening night of The Wiz. Olivia and her friends have been talking about it non-stop for months. I should have been at my basketball game, but I had to make a decision, I could skip the game and possibly let my team down. Or I could skip the opening night and let Olivia down. For me, this was a no-brainer, there would be at least twenty more games this season but this would be the last time Olivia would be performing at our school since she had been accepted into the drama program at Turner. I know Coach Thompson won't be happy and will make me run laps until my legs fall off but it was all worth it as time with my best friend is growing short.

She's switching schools and won't be coming back after winter break. And in a few short months we'll be graduating and I'll be attending college at Gonzaga or maybe Kentucky. Possibly Duke or UNC. Who knows, but I should probably make my decision soon. Just the thought at playing at one of those schools is thrilling to me. Every year those schools each send players to the NBA. The thought of playing professionally used to seem like a distant thing, but I feel that it's all within grasp. My parents have worked so hard, perhaps one day soon I can let both of them retire.

"Ms. Walker," I lean forward in my seat and look past my mother. "Do you think it would be ok if Olivia and I stayed out a little later tonight? I'd like to take her to dinner to celebrate."

"Well, her curfew is at 10, how much later were you thinking?"

"Well, my curfew isn't until midnight," I flash a grin.

"And where are you going to take her?" Yolanda asks.

"I was thinking maybe Olive Garden or Red Lobster. I was going to let her pick."

Yolanda sighs, "11:30 but not a second later."

"Yes, ma'am. I'll have her home on time."

"Ok, Quan, I don't like her ripping and running these streets at night."

"Yes, ma'am. I understand."

The director comes on stage to greet the audience, then the lights dim and the show begins.

***

Once the show has ended Olivia's mother stands up, "Ok Q, I will see you two at 11:30."

I nod, "Yes, ma'am. You have my word."

"You two have fun," My mom says as she and Yolanda head out of the auditorium.

I wait around for another twenty minutes before Olivia finally comes looking for me. She has a bunch of flowers in her hand. I pop up out of my seat to help her.

"Dang look at all these flowers. Aren't you a special girl?" I take the glass vase of pink roses I had given her before the show from her hand.

"My favorite ones are from you of course," she smiles.

"So where would you like to go to eat? I'll take the star wherever she wants to go."

"I was thinking we grab some burgers and hang out at your house," Olivia replies as we head toward my car.

"Really? You just wanna hang at the crib? I thought I'd take you to Olive Garden or Red Lobster. You love going there on special occasions." I open the passenger door for Olivia to get in.

"I'd rather just relax tonight, it's been such a long day."

"Ok, well I talked to your mom and got your curfew extended to 11:30."

"What!" Olivia beams, "Really?"

"Yup. So lets at least hit up Blockbuster for a movie. Then we can swing by Burger King for some whoppers."