Chapter 37: Olivia

I listen to Landon breathing heavily with his mouth open as he sleeps. I'm struggling to fall asleep, not because of him but because I have never lied to my mother to stay the night with a boy and I'm nervous I'll get caught though me and Tanisha have a very solid plan. My mom always likes to say good night to me when I'm at a sleepover so right before going to bed I called Tanisha's house phone. Tanisha in turn called my mom via three way, so her number would show up on the caller ID at my house. Our plan had worked like a charm but I'm still nervous my mom might call Tanisha's house for whatever reason and find out I'm not there.

It's 2 am when I ease out of the bed not wanting to disturb Landon from my tossing and turning. I'm almost certain that at this time of the night no one would be coming in, so I make my way down the cold marble staircase into the kitchen for a drink. I pour myself some juice and walk around the 9000 square foot home.

The house is spectacular, 8 bedrooms and 11 bathrooms Landon says. Black and white marble tiles run throughout the first floor of the home. Upon entering the foyer there's a spiral staircase with a catwalk. I continue to walk around and come across a formal dining room with a huge rectangular table with seating for twelve people and a great room with the highest ceilings I'd ever seen in a house. The room is decorated like a winter wonderland with a fifteen foot tall Christmas tree and fresh garland strung all about. Next to the great room is a large library with seating around a fireplace. Just about every room I go into has a wood burning fireplace. There are antique marble statues and dozens of antique canvas paintings in gold frames that lined the walls. I'm beginning to feel like I'm walking through a seventeenth century art museum rather than someone's home.

Finally, at the back of the house I stumble upon my most interesting find-- Benjamin's office. I push open the large glass door and flip on the light switch. The entire room is dark mahogany wood from floor to ceiling and a large mahogany desk sits directly next to a large fireplace. I cautiously enter the room, there's a faint smell of tobacco and leather in the air. I sip my juice as I study the pictures on the wall, all photos of Benjamin with what looked to be very influential people, "Asshole," I scoff.

I run my fingertips along the buttery leather of his executive chair. The smell of the tobacco serves as my reminder of the man that occupies this office, a man who believes in his own superiority over me-- yet here I am.

"I don't belong here unless I pick up a broom, HA!" I mock before taking a seat at the desk. I sit down my cup and spin around in the chair a few times while throwing my hands up in the air. I plop my feet onto his desk, "Half-breed my ass," I give a contemptuous grin. My gaze sweeps across the room. I feel empowered as I look up at the exquisite craftmanship that surrounds me. I examine the intricate detailing of the wainscoting on the ceiling, then the fine details on the trim of the black marble fireplace surround.

Benjamin Sullivan is the man who attempted to shatter my spirit. The man that thoughtlessly flung racial slurs at a group of young teenage girls. What does this behavior reveal about his character? As far as I'm concerned. Benjamin Sullivan holds no significance in my eyes and I will never allow him to hold any power over me.