58

The Deputy Prime Minister took a bite from a Stilton and walnut pie and glanced across the table at the Lieutenant General of Winterfield. With roughly four million British people who do not eat meat, Britain offers great vegetarian cuisine. This was a blend of a nutty tart with strong blue English cheese.

"Perfect!" The Lieutenant General raised his left hand, and touched the tip of his index finger to the nail of his thumb to form a circular shape. He held the remaining three fingers straight, gesturing that everything was fine.

The Deputy Prime Minister wiped his mouth with a white cloth, and pushed his plate to the side. The Safe House Caretaker walked out of the kitchen, approached the dining room table and took his plate.

"Sir, would you care for more Moscato wine?"

The Moscato d'Asti was a fresh and fragrant wine, rich in flavors and aromas of ripe stone fruit, tangerines, and honey.

"Yes, please."

"And for you sir?"

"Water will be fine. Thank you."

The Safe House Caretaker turned around and walked back to the kitchen.

The Lieutenant General grabbed an envelope from a breast pocket from under his suit and slid across the table.

"What is this?" The Deputy Prime Minister furrowed his brows.

"Take a look."

The Deputy Prime Minister opened the envelope and took a single item found inside.

"This is a still photograph taken from an underground vault at the Federal Reserve Bank in Washington D.C. last year."

The Deputy Prime Minister glanced at the Lieutenant General and returned his attention to the photograph. It was a phrase written in a white tiled wall.

The conspiracy goes beyond what you're thinking.
Expose what you know, and you will die.

"This phrase was written by Winterfield Asset Allan Longshore."

"What exactly was he trying to do? Why wasn't I informed of this when it happened?"

"Maybe he thought there were more people involved in Operation White Diamond. He wanted to end the Operation with Francisco Cardelini, and whoever would investigate his death, would not come forward and speak up their findings. This could cause worldwide repercussions, even chaos."

"He obviously broke protocol."

"Actually, he evidently took this Operation White Diamond very seriously. Six months prior Winterfield dispatched him to the United States, he spent day and night investigating everything about Francisco Cardelini and Jessica Cardelini. Every possible connection and threats that Ms. Cardelini was posing to this Country."

"Was he British?"

"Yes. Which made matters even more personal."

"Why personal? What connection does Ms. Cardelini and Allan Longshore have in common?"

"The main reason why he wanted Ms. Cardelini dead,

after tedious investigation, the motive he suggested to the Winterfield Director, was what he stumbled upon at the Westminster Abbey."

"What did he find?"

"The Cosmati Pavement."