Chapter 18: The Night of the Hunt (2)

---

"How can you destroy a monster without becoming one?"

– Kaneki, 'Tokyo Ghoul'

---

"Br-Bruce i-is that, are those d-dead bodies?" Selina said verbally stumbling in fear. She had seen a lot of suffering in the streets and the orphanage but this was the first time she saw someone lying dead like that in their own home.

"Kitty, go to your room," Bruce said with a stern tone after controlling his shock at the unexpected sight of the gruesome scene. He didn't want to let Selina see everything here and ruin her innocence so soon even though he doubted if any child in Gotham ever truly had an innocent childhood.

"No, I wanna watch. I want to find Helena and make sure that she is okay." Selina said with tears in her eyes while holding Bruce's hands, begging him to let her stay here with him.

"Fine. But first, call Alfred to inform him about this and tell him to contact the cops as soon as possible. He should have already dropped Vicki at her home by now and should be on his way here." Bruce ordered her with a tone that meant no nonsense.

"Can't we ask him to go to Helena's home first and try to see if... try to find her? It would be quicker than the cops." Selina said in a frustrated voice.

"No. Alfred is just one man. This is probably the work of either a criminal gang or an experienced serial killer. Sending Alfred there alone would be jeopardizing his life. I doubt he even took his gun with him. So just tell him to call the cops, particularly James Gordon, and tell him that we received the information from an anonymous source about the crime and then order him to come straight home." Bruce instructed.

Normally the excuse of receiving information from an anonymous source doesn't work in front of most cops as they insist on knowing who the anonymous source is but Alfred worked for the Wayne family and that alone would make his words a hundred times more credible and believable than anyone else's. No cop would be stupid enough to try to force Alfred on revealing how he got the information about the crime even before the cops did.

"O-okay," Selina said as she quickly went to the main manor to ring up Alfred from the mansion's landline.

Truthfully Bruce could have done the same from the cave itself since not only did his bat-tool also function as a phone but also Cortana herself could make the call. But Bruce sent away Selina because he didn't want her to see the rest of the bloody scene in Helena's house, he didn't want her to see the dead body of one of her friends since he didn't know if Helena was even alive at this point. But most of all, he didn't want Selina to see what he was gonna do if he found the ones who did this.

"Cortana release the spiders" Bruce instructed with a cold expression.

As soon as he said it, the stomach of one of the bat drones opened slightly and about a dozen tiny crystal-like objects dropped from it which soon began to move and morph into shapes of spiders. They even began to crawl on the walls just like normal spiders would.

 They even began to crawl on the walls just like normal spiders would