Chapter 105: The Offer

---

"A villain is someone hurt by the world and so they take revenge on it."

- V.E. Schwab, (Vicious (2013))

---

<{Wayne Enterprises HQ, Gotham}>

<(Omniscient POV)>

"Ahh, thanks for coming here and giving this place a chance Winslow. I am glad you still haven't given up hope despite all the setbacks you faced in your toy-making dream with all the relentless pressure from corrupted defense and weapon conglomerates, trying to coerce you into selling them your inventions, so that they can make weapons off of them." Victor Fries praised while shaking hands with Winslow Schlott who would also one day be known as the Toyman.

A month had passed since Bruce rescued Victor's wife from the brink of death due to her terminal illness. Her miraculous recovery had instilled an unwavering sense of gratitude within Victor, one that drove him to dedicate himself wholeheartedly to him and Wayne Enterprises. Despite Bruce not demanding any allegiance from him that day, Victor's commitment to repay the billionaire knew no bounds. He had resolved to serve Bruce in any capacity he could, even if it meant a lifetime of servitude within his company. After all, he was a man of his word.

Determined to prove his worth, Victor immersed himself in monumental projects, striving to realize them to their fullest potential. From revolutionary freezing weaponry poised to redefine defense and cold chain logistics, to innovative cold suits facilitating exploration in frigid environments, as well as cryogenic methods promising extended space travel and possible life extension, he spared no effort in trying to bolster the company's growth and securing its position as the world's leading technology company.

Yet, amidst all his tireless endeavors, Victor couldn't shake the feeling of not doing enough. Even working for eighty to a hundred hours a week seemed insufficient to repay his debt. It was then that he recalled Winslow Schlott, a figure from his past, someone he had even considered a friend of sorts. He had initially recommended the eccentric inventor to Bruce as a gesture of gratitude for past favors the toy maker had done for him, but, Victor soon realized the potential of harnessing Winslow's brilliance for Wayne Enterprises.

Not only could Winslow's innovative robotics, AI, and machine learning technologies revolutionize Bruce's video gaming empire by diversifying into physical games and toys, but Victor envisioned broader applications across the conglomerate's various ventures as well. If he could somehow persuade Winslow to collaborate and integrate his cutting-edge technology into Wayne Enterprises' diverse portfolio, triumph in the realm of technological innovation would be all but assured for the conglomerate.

"Victor, it's been quite some time. To be honest, my trust in billionaires and corporations has waned a long time ago. The only reason I reached out to Wayne Enterprises was because of your recommendation and the increasing offers from various defense companies eager to acquire my technology. They just fail to grasp my steadfast refusal to contribute to warfare and violence. I aim to bring joy to children through the innocence of games with my creations, not contribute to genocides and massacres."

"I have never entertained any attempts by defense companies to purchase my technologies, but recently, they have grown bolder, even resorting to threats against my wife and me. Most major toy companies have shied away from my creations, deeming them too advanced and potentially disruptive to their established product lines.

And the few companies that did express interest were forcibly suppressed by a particular large defense corporation bent on coercing me into selling them my designs. The past couple of months have been exceedingly challenging. Even the few stores where I used to once sell my handcrafted toys had stopped doing business with me." he confessed, his expression showing a sense of powerlessness. "Wayne Enterprises may just be my last hope to one day see children playing with the toys I've crafted."