Chapter 41: A Dog's Life

---

"You Think Your Dookie Don't Stink?"

-Ace, (DC League Of Super-Pets)

---

(Gotham, 2003)

<(Omniscient POV) {Animan Dialect}>

'Now where did that damn butterfly go? I swear I saw it hovering somewhere around here." Ace, Bruce's pet dog thought as he used his ever-trusty nose to sniff around trying to smell out the multicolored little menace.

It has been quite a couple of years that he has been living with his human best friend, the one and only Bruce Wayne and he was really proud to say that he had the highest amount of trust from Bruce among everyone else except the wise old man, Alfred. Ace had done his best to be as loyal and useful as possible to his human benefactor and best friend but unfortunately, that man was light years ahead of him when it came to being useful.

It didn't matter what happened, Alfred always seemed to perform better than him in almost everything whether it was fetching stuff for Bruce lifting up his mood, or biting the hell out of thieves who dared to try to enter their home. Yeah, they were not only greedy but stupid as well. Couldn't they see that this home was under his mighty protection, the protection of the great hound of Gotham?

Anyway, he had tried to give some tough competition to the old man trying to vie for the position of being Bruce's most loyal but after repeated failures Ace had finally settled for sharing the said title with Alfred. Plus he was also a little afraid of the guy. The butler was quite strict with both him and Bruce whenever it came to etiquette and manners, even more than that crazy guy ninja guy who taught Ace about different tricks and even trained him how to perfectly aim and bite off people's private parts.

Ace although the definition of a good dog and was quite proud of it too, still had his careless accidents. He was always severely admonished by Alfred whenever he forgot his chewing toys on the floor in the living room or conducted his private business outside of his litter box by accidents, accidents of which he wasn't at all proud.

Now, however even though Ace had settled his differences with Alfred, he was still competing with someone else for something even more important. He was going head-to-head with that... CAT GIRL. Yes, it was the girl named Selina, that girl had completely monopolized what was supposed to be one of his most prized spots and titles. She had taken the spot beside Bruce on his bed during sleepy time.

At first, the dog was okay with it because, after all, Bruce had taken her in way before he had adopted Ace. In fact, after he learned of her unfortunate life before Bruce from some of the local birds, he was even quite sympathetic as one stray to another and gladly shared Bruce's bed with her, taking one side of it, and leaving another to her.

But despite all his goodwill, she had broken his trust and betrayed him. Lately, she had been locking the door to Bruce's bedroom at night without even letting Ace in first. Even when Bruce yelled from inside the room that they were too young and she was not mature yet (probably too young and immature to sleep alone without Ace) she still didn't open the door. However, Bruce always showed his loyalty as Ace's best friend and opened the door to him after severely berating the girl. But that still didn't convince Ace to forgive her for her crimes against their sacred human-dog friendship.

But he had a plan for taking his rightful place as Bruce's cuddle buddy back from her in his mind, a plan which was walking towards him this very moment.

"Hey Ace, how is it going? Wait, am I interrupting your monologue or something?" A small orange kitten cutely said in an anime-like voice as it lazily and effortlessly walked through the gate bars.