Chapter 99: The Colony (1)

---

"Is there really such a thing? Real friends who last forever?"

– Kodaka Hasegawa, (Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai)

---

<(Bruce Wayne POV)>   

"You stay in the car, Master Bruce. I'll go outside and see what they want." Alfred spoke up after a few seconds of observing the assassins while taking out the lawgiver gun from Judge Dredd that I gave him on his birthday. He knew that even though the ninjas would not be able to get inside our car using regular bullets, they would still be able to do it with explosives if they used a big enough charge.

"Have you finally gone insane old man? Do you think a peak-body serum and a fancy gun make you invincible? I can confidently say that I can beat up all of them without suffering even the tiniest injury, can you? *Sigh* Look Alfred, I understand your desire to protect me from danger but, I am already an adult now. I can take care of myself. You don't have to worry about me all the time you know." I explained as I stopped him from hastily opening the door of the car and getting out. "Plus, I am sure that even if we don't do anything, Cortana has already called for help anyway, right Cortana?" I asked shifting my attention to the bracelet on my hand.

"I have but it looks like these people have considered everything. They intercepted the car at a point where all police stations were at least twelve minutes away. Also, they seem to have registered several false complaints all at once forcing most of the cops in the city to have gone to areas in the opposite direction from your current location. So, I doubt the cops will be able to reach you in the next ten minutes and even if they do, I am doubtful that they will be able to combat highly trained armed ninjas.

I have already sent several combat drones in your direction too but 'coincidentally' your location is also quite far away from home, so it will take about seven to eight minutes to reach you even at full speed. You will have to survive somehow till then." Cortana's slightly rushed voice sounded like she was panicking because of her powerlessness.

"Survive? You all are underestimating me too much, don't you think?" I snorted as I watched two of the ninjas attach a special device to the front of the car in an effort to break in while our driver who was also a part of my armed security force loaded up his handgun. "They seem to know almost everything they need to know to successfully assassinate me, even the fact that I wouldn't have too big of a security detail with me today... A traitor in our ranks perhaps?"

"A traitor?... But only a few people knew that we weren't going to bring guards to the press meeting today and it was a last-minute decision too. As for those who knew, they are all people I personally vetted or trusted with my life. They... shouldn't be betraying us for no reason." Alfred responded with a thoughtful expression.

"Mr. Wayne, it is only a matter of minutes before they are going to break into the car through the front window. I'll try to get out and sabotage that machine of theirs while taking out as many as possible, while you should sit back and wait for reinforcements to arrive. Remember, don't try to be a hero Mr. Wayne and I promise that you will ah,..." The driver/ disguised security officer wasn't able to complete his sentence as I knocked him out with a simple well-directed chop on his neck.

"..." -Alfred.

"What? He was going to die if he tried to play the hero. Plus, I prefer not to leave witnesses for what is going to happen next." I snorted before calmly opening the car door.

"I think I am going to need a raise." Alfred sighed as he rubbed his forehead.

I of course ignored him and looked at the ninjas, most of whom were still focused on breaking apart my car's front window.