Chapter 25: A Magical Birthday (3)

---

"Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing."

—Ron Swanson, (Parks and Recreation)

---

"That was a little weird, wasn't it?" Alfred murmured to himself with a confused face after both the magical father-daughter duo left.

The butler was confused by some of the things that Giovanni had said in the conversation especially whenever he joked about things like magic. Who the hell jokes about the death of their wife being caused by a war with demons?

Bruce on the other hand wasn't confused at all because, unlike Alfred, he knew that the Zatara family was not ordinary at all but a magical one. So he knew exactly what he was talking about. But Bruce still had a certain doubt in his mind.

Giovani seemed really protective of his daughter. He didn't even let her talk with Bruce much, let alone allow her to play with him alone. Even though he himself asked Bruce to be her friend to which Bruce immediately agreed, he still left with his daughter after some time, not letting her freely talk or play with him.

Giovanni told Bruce that he had some important work to do and thus had to leave for the day. He took Zatanna with him too even though Bruce told him that he wanted to celebrate his birthday with her along with his other friends.

'Is it purely because he is an overprotective father or is it because he was here for something else? Whatever he said he would send her to play here next week anyway, so I'll get my answers then' Bruce thought to himself frowning.

"Yeah, it was a little weird," Bruce replied as he took out a small machine the size of a TV remote the moment the Zatara family left the mansion grounds.

He then began to roam the entire room with the tool in his hand like he was looking for something with it.

After a few minutes, the lights on the device began to blink and rapidly change from white, red, green, and blue until a couple of seconds later, the green light glowed slightly more than the other lights and finally, the white light turned on.

"Interesting, so he did some sort of magic while he was in the room since there are traces of paranormal energies here but there is no active spell right now," Bruce muttered to himself as he frowned.

"What's that Master Bruce?" Alfred couldn't control his curiosity despite his best efforts and finally asked after some time.

"This my capable guardian is a pk-meter I made recently. It can detect various supernatural energies and events. Red light means ghosts or other demonic entities are detected nearby, green means the detection of any paranormal substance or energy, blue means the detection of a cursed object, and white means everything is normal." Bruce explained but looking at Alfred's face, he doubted how much the butler was believing his words.

He wasn't lying. He made the PK meter after he remembered the iconic device from Ghostbusters. It was the only device he currently had that could detect supernatural stuff around him. It detected ectoplasmic energy as well as the unique radiation signature of mana and could basically detect any supernatural entity that was nearby.

 It detected ectoplasmic energy as well as the unique radiation signature of mana and could basically detect any supernatural entity that was nearby