Chapter 57: A Demon's Deception

---

"Sometimes the hardest choices in life are the ones that seem the easiest on the surface."

- Lisa Kleypas, (Sugar Daddy)

---

<(Bruce Wayne POV)>

"That isn't fair. Rewards shouldn't be given based on choices but on achievements. Instead o making me choose between the three, why not just give me a task and reward me according to my performance? If I excel at the task, give me all the rewards and if I fail, don't give me anything. How about it? You are not going to lose anything..."

"Nope. Nada. Non. Nein. Nahi. You may fool anybody else with that challenge but not me little boy. You either take my offer and make a choice or you can just walk out of this room and fight the horde of undead outside on your own. I am sure that you will survive even without my help but the question is, will you be able to save the others as well? Even with your bag of tricks and unnatural body, I still highly doubt so." The kid god S'aru giggled like it had just caught me cheating red-handed.

"... So in a way, this is my test, isn't it? You are going to judge me by what I choose?" I asked, raising one of my brows at the floating baldheaded teen god.

"Not everything is a test you know. Sometimes, it's just a god giving you a choice among two free gifts to choose from." S'aru sighed as he looked like he wanted to be anywhere but here.

"Shit... Wait, will you give me the true answer to any question I ask you? Even if I ask you stuff like how to become the strongest being on Earth in one week?"

"What do you think genius? Of course, I won't. Even I am nowhere close to the strongest beings. I mean I am definitely in the top 100 but surely not in the top 50. So how the hell can I help you? God, kids these days. Give them an inch and they will ask for the palace. No, I will only answer your question if I myself know the answer to it." The kid god grumbled childishly.

'Ohhh. *Ugh* Then I guess his knowledge isn't exactly going to be useful for me since I doubt you can tell me anything truly important that I either don't know or can't figure out myself. Also, I am damn sure I can make myself immortal through multiple methods without his help. Even the version of Extremis that I have been working on can give a sort of physical immortality along with eternal youth. So the weird suspiciously green liquid is also out. That just leaves... those." I said as my eyes landed on the pair of burning swords which looked like they could burn me with just a single touch.

"Good choice little Bruce. As people say offense is the best defense. And believe me, knowledge is so overrated anyway. A couple of swords might go a long way in cutting off some wise and knowledgeable heads if they were to ever go against you." S'aru gave his version of 'wise' advice as he began to float towards me, both the goblet and the twin swords disappearing from his hands.

"Now time to pass on to you the real inheritance of the All-caste, oh and you should clench your teeth because as people nowadays say it, this is going to hurt like a bitch." He smiled innocently while grabbing my hands which immediately made me feel like my hands were being burnt to a crisp through slow roasting while millions of needles were piercing through the burnt flesh.

"Oh goddamn, I should have chosen the question," I yelled, feeling true mind-breaking pain for the first time ever since I came into this world without any sort of nerve suppressant.

***

<(Nyssa Al Ghul POV)>

"Number 198, did you secure our exit? We need to get out of here ASAP. There are too many undead here. We are swarmed. A retreat is the only option." I yelled through the Handheld Transceiver while battling the hordes of zombies that had suddenly attacked us out of nowhere.