Chapter 40: Life's just a game full of Disappointment

---

"Knowing you're different is only the beginning. If you accept these differences you'll be able to get past them and grow even closer."

-MISS KOBAYASHI, (DRAGON MAID)

---

<Bruce Wayne POV)>

"So, let me get this straight. You went to Zatanna's father to ask him to teach you magic after telling him that you know all about him and his family being a real magical family which you had been planning for the last few months and after just asking once, he agreed to teach you magic without even being surprised... just like that?" Cortana asked in somewhat a surprised voice.

"Yep just like that." I smiled, satisfied at having managed to surprise my AI assistant which was a pretty rare feat.

Truthfully, even I was surprised about the turn of events. In fact, I had made about a dozen countermeasures in case the senior Zatara wanted to erase my memory to make me forget everything to keep the concept of magic a secret or if he suddenly determined that I was a threat to him or his daughter and decided to eliminate me.

I had taken my anti-mind manipulation necklace with me at that time to make sure that nobody mind rapes me or something.

I had also worn my new John Wick-inspired bulletproof suit although I doubt it could tank the bullshit power of magic. Additionally, I had my now improved and heavily armed Bat-tool with twenty-plus different weapon modes.

But still, my biggest defense against him was not any of these but it was none other than his own daughter, Zatana who was supposed to hide during my conversation with her father and come out of hiding to stop or persuade her father(whichever was required) if things went south.

But contrary to both my and Zatana's expectations, Giovanni Zatara just sighed after my big reveal of knowing about his family's magical heritage and just agreed to teach me magic.

It was that easy. I didn't even have to use my puppy eyes which was my number twelfth countermeasure to convince him in case everything else failed.

But unfortunately, not everything was as simple as it seemed. Giovanni had agreed to teach me 'about' magic but had also informed me a certain thing about magic that I wasn't privy to before.

***(Flashback starts)***

"I had suspected you of knowing about magic and my family's special talents in it for a long time Bruce, especially after I started sensing such an influx of... life inside you. Also, I knew that my daughter would never be able to keep her mouth shut for long even if you don't figure it out yourself, Can you now my little sugarpie?" He concluded while looking at the door of his office room.

"You knew?" Zatana asked as she entered the room with a guilty face.

"You might have learned a lot of magic Zatana but you still aren't as good as me and you will have to work a lot harder if you ever want to be... Also, I knew someone was stealing my unused magical contracts. Those things are not cheap to make and I keep count of every single one of them." He added with a mock smile.