Chapter 108: Ending Madness

---

"To capture a criminal, they have to be crushed completely and thoroughly. They must fear me and realize there is no second chance."

- Jail Murdoch, (Plunderer)

---

<(Omniscient POV)>

Just as the man was going to plunge his blade into the young girl's neck, something weird happened. There was a sharp whistling sound in the air like a blade cutting through the wind. However, the seemingly mentally imbalanced man was enjoying the moment too much to care about that sound and didn't slow down at all. But that turned out to be one of the biggest mistakes in his life because the very next moment, all the fingers of his right hand, which was holding the sharp blade were missing, cleanly cut out from his hand by something extremely fast and sharp.

"Huh, what?" The man was at first confused about what had just happened. He didn't understand why the girl who was supposed to die by a single slash of his blade was still alive, while he was the one who was feeling like he wasn't going to make it. But he didn't have time to further ponder the reason for this because the pain of losing his fingers suddenly hit him like a freaking freight train. "AAAAAHHHHHH! FUCK! AHHHH. My HAND, MY GODDAMN FINGERS. Fuck. Fuck. FUUUUUUCK." The man continued yelling while looking around in search of his missing digits as moisture slowly gathered in his eyes due to the immense pain he was currently feeling.

"How the hell did my fingers get cut off so fast?" He somehow groaned aloud in pain after trying to forcefully calm himself down a little, but he understood the reason for this the very next moment when he noticed his freshly cut-off finders which were still leaking red blood lying on the ground along with a bat-shaped blade sticking out from the concrete beside them. "The Dark Knight!" He gasped in surprise as he recognized the cursed symbol that most criminals of Gotham had started to dread after what happened to his last boss, the Penguin as well as the biggest crime lord of Gotham, Carmine Falcone. 

"W-where are you? Show yourself, you coward." The man yelled as he quickly closed his 'wound' with a scarf that he had in his pocket after which he took out two handguns that he had hidden in his jacket.

However internally, Zsasz was still hesitating. He was no stranger to danger, but the Bat was different. The rumored vigilante demon of Gotham was not someone any criminal could just go ahead and antagonize without expecting any sort of punishment. 

"Victor Zsasz," A deep voice was suddenly heard speaking with a low growl, "It is time for you to finally face the retributions for the crimes you have done till now." It informed as the voice seemed to come closer and closer.

Instantly, a black-clad figure swiftly dropped from the rooftop, landing silently behind Zsasz like a trained ninja. And, unfortunately for Victor, it really was Batman, the Dark Knight of Gotham. His cape billowed, as his helmet concealed his features, leaving only the unnatural monstrous appearance of his armor's face plate visible for the criminal to see.

However, instead of being afraid, Victor's lips twisted into a manic twisted grin. "Ah, the Bat. You are just as terrifying as advertised, just as good. But you won't stop me. You see, I am the chosen one, this is my fate just like dying and becoming free is that girl's. She's already marked. Now, it's my responsibility to relieve her of the terrible boredom that she calls her life and as a result, free her of her mortal binds."

Even after listening to his words, Batman, however, didn't flinch. "You won't hurt anyone else anymore Victor Zsasz," Batman's voice was cold, unyielding. "At least, not on my watch," He uttered as he stepped forward, his presence commanding with each of his words seeming more like an order than a request.