Chapter 76: Homecoming (1)

---

"Each man's life touches so many other lives, and when he isn't around, he leaves an awful hole."

– Clarence, (It's a Wonderful Life)

---

<(Bruce Wayne POV)>

"You never told me that you have a family Bruce. If I knew, I would have worn something better..., maybe even bring a housewarming gift or something." Nyssa said while lightly biting on her nails with a worried look.

"That's why I always tell you to read the file little sister. Background checks are always important even if you are just looking for a boyfriend." Talia snorted at her sister.

"Wait, you read a file on me. That's borderline creepy. *Sigh* I guess, I should have expected this from a closet pervert like you." I teased Talia to which she just gave me a cold look. "Also Nyssa, by family I only currently have my butler/guardian Alfred, and my best friend Selina whom Alfred adopted about a decade ago. Besides them, I also have some friends whom I consider family as well." I said, not mentioning that Selina might be a little more than just a friend.

All three of us were on our way to the Wayne Estate in a black Tesla Roadster, the first electric sports car released by Wayne Auto under the brand name Tesla.

It was declared the car of the year by a majority of magazines and car critics and almost had a cult-like following of loyal fanboys. Of course, the fact that it had a range of 1000 miles which charged from 0 to 100 percent in ten minutes with its out-of-the-world battery technology along with a host of other innovative features also contributed to why it was the highest-selling sports car in the country this year. In fact, it sold so much that I had to spend an additional 3 billion dollars to make new charging stations all over America to compensate for the huge number of Tesla cars on the road.

Anyway, I was originally supposed to return alone while Nyssa and Talia were supposed to stay back at the League's Nanda Parbat base to solidify the League's new power structure but they had both changed that decision at the last moment and taken some time out to drop me home. The reason they gave me of course had nothing to do with dropping me home. If one were to believe their words, they just wanted to visit the infamous city of Gotham.

"You have a girl as a best friend who is also living in your house?" Nyssa's voice sounded hollow for some reason.

Even Talia raised one of her eyebrows in my direction as if to ask me if I had just broken her little sister's heart.

"... It's completely fine for a boy and a girl to be best friends. If you don't agree with it, then you are a sexist." I bullshitted through my teeth with a straight face as I did my best not to meet her eyes. "Oh, look. We are here." I said with genuine joy at being able to divert the topic as I pointed at my mansion.

The estate had changed a lot over the years. From a classic medieval-era style mansion to a breathtakingly beautiful manor filled with cutting-edge technologies for both security and convenience.

The entire mansion had professional defense personnel in black full-body suits with high defense capabilities roaming all around the estate ready to take someone's life or give theirs in case of an invasion. Even their guns had been upgraded into electromagnetic variants that normal bulletproof vests wouldn't be able to stop.

After the car stopped in front of the front door of the main building, I got out of the car followed by both Nyssa and Talia, both of whom were looking everywhere around them in curiosity.

"Master Bruce! You are still alive. Even though Cortana told me you were well, I could not help but at times fear that something bad might have happened to you in one of your adventures." Alfred who was waiting for me at the entrance half-joked in a voice filled with heavy emotions.