38

a part of me

a part of me.

I once asked myself, will closing eyes makes my problem hide in the darkness which circles when I blink my eyes close

Which I stopped asking when I watched Samira's brown orbs welcoming dead. That time, I blinked, slapped myself, pinched my skin, but never once her pale blue face turned the way I was always accustomed to see.

Shock, panic, anxiety reverberated in me, the same way the steel vat thumped loudly on the floor.

The hot orangey lentil soup spreads on the floor, spreading near my feet. I could only eye it, since my lungs ceased, my legs forgot their part to play.

He asked me to not draw attention, and here I created a whole play.

I nibble on my lips, blinking hastily to remove the burning sensation, welcoming some tears. By now, I's sure the series of steps have halted before me, circling near me, gasping at me. Some faces must be glancing with pity, some with sympathy and some with disappointment.

"What're you doing there?" I flinch from the familiar thunderous voice. I refuse to lift my head, and see the dismay everyone having in their eyes. I clench the end of my saree, surfacing a sob.

And, with a pull on my forearm, my cemented feet were snatched from their earlier position, situated in the middle of disaster I created.

"Are you even in your sane mind?" I could feel his ragged breath. But, say silent.

I stay silent because I was dreading of the consequences.

"Are you okay?" Comes his other set of question, but this time soft.

When my ears hear his words, only then I dare to lift my head a little. A soothing feeling of protection covers me, making me seeks more in his spread arms around me.

"How much food is wasted? Here people don't get one time meal, and look at the way it is spread all over the ground."

"How will the privileged one know the importance of something they get it all on silver plates. Here, we've to make our blood sweat and tears to get it."