43.

Luciana POV

As I ran my fingers over the fabric of the dress, the memories of purchasing it invaded my head. It was only yesterday when me and Alessio went to the overpopulated shopping mall to find me the perfect jaw dropping outfit for my date. I decided to let Alessio take the lead on it.

And shopping for it, was the worst experience of my entire life. And that says something.

Every store we went inside, Alessio would look at every single article of clothing inside. When he decided that something would look lovely on me, he would shove the clothes into my arms. He would keep giving me more and more items until I was dropping things on the way to the dressing room.

Each time I put something on, I would walk out and show him. Nothing seemed to be perfect in his eyes. 

So, we would go into another store and the process would repeat itself. Browse, try on, put things back, new store.

We were inside the mall from opening until closing when only a few of the food stands were open in the food court. By process of elimination, I got a black, floral pattern covered dress with short sleeves.

Here I am, in my bathroom very tempted to bail on the entire date in general. The more the minutes ticked by, the more predate anxiety rose from deep inside me.

"Hurry up and get ready or you'll be late", Alessio yelled as he began to pound his fist against the almost broken wooden door.

"I'm almost ready", I muttered not sure if he actually heard me.

I sighed, knowing I needed to get going if I wanted to be on time.

I put the dress on carefully, not wanting to mess up my hair or my very light makeup. After I was dressed, i looked at myself in the mirror. Tears threatened to spill from my eyes... I looked like Mama.

Seeing myself brought up memories of her from my childhood. Only they weren't full memories, only fragments of them. 

Before I could dwell on the thought anymore, the bathroom door was opened.

"Luci, c'mon you're going to be late if you don't-."

"What?", I muttered, "Do I look overdressed?"

He shook his head, bringing himself out of his own thoughts, "You look so much like auntie."

He smiled proudly at me. Tears began to form in his eyes, making them glossy. 

"That's what took me so long...", I sighed," I was remembering her... only I realized I am started to forget her."

"Oh Luci...", He pulled me into a warm hug. He was careful not to mess up my hair or makeup "Everyone knew it would only be a matter of time before you began to forget... you were so young when the accident happened."

"I knew as well."

After a few moments of hugging, he slowly pulled away from me. 

"It's past time for you to leave", He explained.

"I don't think I can go", I shook my head.

"Remember our deal", He announced.

I sighed, leaving the bathroom. I went over to the door and put my black high heels on.

"How do I look?", I asked while posing dramatically.

"Beautiful", He smiled before he gasped," I need to take a picture."

"One picture"

He rolled his eyes before taking his phone from his pocket, making his camera flash.

"Enough distractions. Get going", He said while pushing me out of the apartment.

 I managed to grab my small purse from the counter.

I dug my phone from inside, I ignored the numerous messages from my brothers, not wanting to ruin my night anymore. A single message did catch my eye, it was from Josephine. 

"Leaving my place now. I should be there in twenty."

I cursed under my breath knowing I was extra late. I stuffed my phone back inside my purse, knowing I needed to run If I wanted to make it on time.

As soon as I was outside on the sidewalk I started to sprint towards the theater. It wasn't that far; however, the heels were slowing me down slightly.

When the theater was in my sights, I noticed her almost instantly. Her fiery red hair standing out to me.

"Josie", I yelled, trying to gain her attention.

She turned around...and damn did she look sexy. She wore a black cotton dress that made her tan skin pop.

"You look beautiful", I blurted out.

We both blushed.

"Sorry", I muttered.

"No, it's okay", She smiled at me.

The line to get inside was quite long. We had plenty of time to talk and get to know each other.

"So, what are your future plans", I asked.

She took a few moments to ponder the question," I want to travel the world. I just need to work more double shifts and I'll be able to accomplish my dreams sooner."

"Traveling is super exciting" I smiled.

"Where have you been?", She curiously asked me.

"Italy when I was younger, and Los Angeles where I grew up", I explained, hoping she wouldn't ask anything more about either.

"I've lived here my entire life."

 You could see the excitement in her eyes as she ranted about her childhood and her parent's diner. It was different to have a happy, hopeful person in my life.

By the time we got inside to watch the movie, a question I wanted to ask her refused to leave my mind. It was like a gnat in the hot summer when you are all sweaty, always coming back.

The movie wasn't too interesting, I didn't pay much attention to it.

When it was over, we went outside into the cool crispy air.

"Josie?", I asked while biting my lip nervously.

"Hm?"

"If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be?"

"New Zealand", She answered," Why do you ask?"

"I'll pay for the round trip if you go with me", I stated.

She gasped," I couldn't ask you to do that."

I softly took her hands in mine, looking deeply into her eyes, "I'm not asking, I'm offering."

"Why would you want to go with me", She muttered.

"Since I first heard your voice, you made me happy... I felt more joy in that split second than I have in the past twelve years", I explained," Please let me take you to New Zealand to repay the favor."

"Looks like I'm going to need to buy a suitcase", She chuckled.

A huge grin formed on my face. I was filled with so much excitement that I pulled her closer and pressed my lips against soft ones.