146

~ Amaris Laurier ~

~ Amaris Laurier ~

Silent tears escaped my eyes as I tried to suppress them while cooking the food. I stirred the soup mechanically, the rhythmic motion of the spoon providing a facade of normalcy, while on the other hand, I mechanically continued cutting the vegetables and dumping them into the bowl. I clenched my teeth, fighting to suppress the sobs that threatened to escape my chest, not wanting my emotions to get the best of me.

But the weight of everything, the overwhelming emotions that I had been bottling up, became too much to bear. Just as I felt like I was about to crumble, a pair of strong arms wrapped around me from behind, pulling me into a warm, gentle embrace.

At that moment, the floodgates burst open. My sobs were no longer containable, and they echoed through the kitchen, mixing with the aroma of the soup and the sound of the rain outside. The arms around me held me tighter, providing a safe haven amidst my storm of emotions. I turned around within the embrace, burying my face into the chest of the person who had come to me in my moment of vulnerability.

"I'm okay, love! Please don't cry," Samuel's gentle voice broke through the haze.

The tears flowed freely now, and I clung to Samuel as if he was my lifeline, which he is. I let out all the pain, the heartache, and the sadness that I had been carrying, each sob a release of pent-up emotions that had been suffocating me for far too long.

"It's all because of me that this happened to you. I'm so sorry!" I managed to utter between hiccups and sobs, my voice quivering with guilt and sorrow. Samuel held me even closer, his arms a solid wall of support.

 "Shh, Amaris," he whispered soothingly, his voice a mixture of concern and protectiveness. 

"You have nothing to apologize for. None of this is your fault." I hiccupped and tried to catch my breath, my heartache spilling out with every gasp. 

"Samuel," I managed to choke out,

 "I... I thought I'd lost you." His fingers traced my jawline, his touch both soothing and electrifying.

 "You won't lose me that easily," he murmured, his tone laced with a fervent intensity that made my heart race even amidst my tears.

"But Samuel, it's dangerous for you. I tried to escape from you before, because I was scared. Scared that my presence would bring danger and look what happened. I can't bear the thought of putting you in harm's way," I managed to choke out between sobs, my words muffled against his chest.

Samuel's grip on me didn't waver; if anything, it tightened even more, as if he was determined to shield me from not only the world but also my own fears.