Just Reflexes

Aphmau's POV

     It's already been a full day since that visit from my new doctor. He really seemed weird, in my opinion. I absolutely would've started training my healing powers right now, but Melissa wheels me down the stairs so there's no way of going up unless I ask her. Dang it, how am I supposed to do this now? Melissa rolls me next the the couch and then kneels down to my level.

     "Alright Aphmau, ready for your ankle exercise?" Melissa asked. Great, not only can I not train my magic, but I have to be tortured with the painful process called slow healing.

     "Fine, just make it quick please." The pain started sinking in as she rolled my ankle in a circle. I gripped one hand onto the arm rest and the other hand was holding up my head. As she was "Fixing my ankle", I was just imagining how life would be back to normal when I heal Aaron and my friends. My thoughts slipped out of my head when I felt and heard a crack. I don't know what Melissa did, but she definitely did something. As a pure reflex, I jumped out of my seat, held my foot in pain, and then quickly lost balance and fell on my face for a third time since I got back.

     "Aphmau!" Melissa picked me up and rested me back in my chair.

     "Are you ok?! What the heck was that?!"

     "I dunno! All I know is you twisted something!" I yelled back. She looked back to my ankle and realized something.

     "Aphmau, you're moving your ankle around." I looked down to see my ankle twisting and turning with ease, and I didn't even feel any pain.

     "Hah! I did something good!" Melissa cheered. I just rolled my eyes and giggled. I saw Aaron coming down the stairs.

     "Hey Aaron! Look, my ankle is all better!"

     "With my help." Melissa interrupted.

     "That's great. Now you can start with your therapy."

     "Fineeee." I sighed. I really don't want to do therapy. It kinda scares me, to be honest.

     "Hey Melissa, can you roll me back up the stairs? I want to...change my cloths." I lied.

     "Sure thing!" She rolled me up the stairs and pushed me into my room. Before I could close the door behind me, Melissa closed it for me, but she was inside my room.

     "What're you doing? I said I was going to change!" I said, pretending to be annoyed.

     "I know you don't want to go change. You never take Aaron's hoodie off unless necessary. What are you up to, missy?" She gave me a stern, yet silly tone.

     "I do want to change my cloths, Melissa. Please leave." I said nervously.

     "Not until you tell me what you're up to!"

     "Well then you'll be here all day!"

     "Fine." Melissa got on my bed and sat there. I rolled my eyes and rolled into the closet. It's where I have to be, anyways. I roll up slowly to the small plant I left in here yesterday, and then I tried what I was planning on doing yesterday as well. I stretch out my arms to the plant, close my eyes, and think about Aaron. I thought hard on what he made me feel. He made me feel something I can't replace with anybody else. The thoughts of all the laughs we had made me smile.

     "You always found a way to make me smile." I whispered. My eyes were still closed, but my body began to feel weaker. My eyes got heavy. I opened them and saw the plant-life grow brighter. It wasn't dying anymore.

     "You did it!" I heard Woof say. I didn't even notice her when I walked in. I nearly jumped out of my chair and sighed.

     "Y'know, you could make your presence a little more known to me. You scared me!" I yelled.

     "It's fine, you just gotta put that brain to work and remember for yourself." Woof said. I would've picked up Woof and taken her out of the room, but I heard someone knock on the door. As a reaction my ears popped out. I covered them with my hands and then I heard a voice from the other side.

     "Aphmau? Who are you talking to in there?" It was Melissa's voice. Sometimes I always feel like I'm going insane because I'm the only one who can hear Woof. I swung the door open and hid the plant behind my wheelchair.

     "Heeeey Melissa! I thought you left." I said.

     "Nope. I said I was staying here all day. Also I notice you haven't changed. What were you doing in here?" I was about to answer with an excuse, but I started to get a headache. I held my head and Melissa also noticed my ears were out.

     "Why do you have your ears out? I thought you like to hide them."

     "I do, they just came out when you knocked on the door." I said, still holding my head.

     "What's wrong?"

     "I just got a little headache, is all. I'm fine." Melissa got up closer and observed me.

     "You look tired. Did you use your magic?" Melissa asked.

     "WHA?! How did you know!?" I said in shock.

     "Well when you fell asleep I asked the doctor what happens if you use it too much. What have you been using it on?" I sighed in defeat and rolled out of the way so she could see the now thriving flower on the ground.

     "Was it wilting?" She questioned.

     "Yes, that's why we went to Lucinda's the other day. I wanted to get a new plant to work on."

     "Oh, okay. I don't understand why you had to hide it, though. If you don't want me saying anything though, I won't." Melissa promised.

     "Yes please. I don't want anyone knowing." Hopefully she doesn't think much of this. She finally left the room and I noticed a picture on my desk. I rolled up to it and looked at it with a smile and teary eyes. It was our first picture together. I remember when I took it. It was the first day of high school. I guess Aaron just got caught in the picture. This picture reminded me of what Aaron was like before we met for the first time. I hope I can bring back those memories soon. I roll out of my room and see Aaron close to the stairs. He didn't seem like he knew where he was. I panicked. What was I supposed to do?!

     "Aaron, watch out!" I zoomed over as fast as I could, came to a quick stop, and grabbed his hand before he could fall. The only problem was since I worked on the plant, I was incredibly weak and had a migraine. Couldn't have been better timing. Me and Aaron came tumbling down the stairs and fell to the floor. I could see Melissa rushing out of a doorway, seeing us on the floor. I was dizzy, an everything was getting fuzzy. I didn't want to pass out. I tried to stay awake, but I slipped and passed out just as Melissa came to pick us up.

N