1.7𓆩ᥫ᭡𓆪

"Alpha," Baela said, struggling to catch up with his long strides. "Should I stay?"

Zayn abruptly stopped, and Baela jumped onto the road to stop herself from falling into him. Zayn pinched the bridge of his nose and gripped the front of his hair. He looked down the street at the humans minding their own business. "We'll both stay," he grumbled.

"But, the institute-"

"It's just for a day. They'll get over it." Zayn sat on a
bench that faced the college. He crossed his arms and not once did his eyes look anywhere else.

They sat together in silence for hours.

Baela eventually left to find food. When Zayn was
alone, he checked his phone. He had four missed calls from his mum and three unread messages.

Zayn shook his head and switched his phone of. His mother had been irritatingly protective of him over the past few months.

Granted, Zayn's attitude towards his new pack wasn't doing too well; his attitude towards himself wasn't right either. His mum was worried about him, but Zayn wouldn't let her in if she continued to suffocate him.

Ignoring his mother was the only thing he could do, other than yelling at her. Zayn often upset her with his sharp tongue and short-fused temper. Ignoring her now seemed like the safer option.

When Baela returned, she had a bag full of warm steak pastries. Between them, they ate and waited, and waited, and waited.

When it was starting to get dark, Liam finally emerged from the college. Zayn almost leapt off the bench when Liam bolted down the steps and down the street like he had somewhere to be.

"Go" Zayn yelled to Baela, pushing her off the bench. He followed the human with his hungry hazel eyes. "You said you could be his friend!"

"Right! Yes. Yes, I did." Baela hurried across the road before Liam passed by.

Zayn leaned closer to listen and to watch their interaction.

"Hello, Liam," Baela said with a big smile. Liam stopped running and stared up at her with sudden fear. He started backing away.

"B-Baela! Am I in trouble?" Liam asked.

This time, the wind carried Liam's voice right to Zayn. His mother had once said a mate's voice was like hearing music in a silent world. Zayn now knew why. He had to fight all temptation not to storm across the road and press his ear to Liam's lips.

"No, not at all. Um- I just saw you and thought I'd say hi."

Liam seemed a little sceptical as he stood in her presence like a bug in front of a tarantula. "Are you sure?" he asked quietly. "I'll haven't told anyone about.." Liam looked around, and his eyes lingered on Zayn across the road like there was something odd about him. "Um, about the institute."

"I'm glad you haven't, but you're honestly not in trouble. I'm only saying hello." Baela glanced to Zayn too.

He clenched his fists.

"I was also wondering... uh, if you want to study or something tonight? I'm new at the college and could use some friends."

"Me?" Liam asked, pointing to himself.

Baela chuckled. "Yes, you."

Zayn leaned closer, staring at the human's mouth until he smiled, and Zayn felt all warm under his jacket, despite sitting in the cold for most of the day. He would take a picture of Liam's smile if it weren't considered creepy.

"I really wish I could tonight. But I have to look after my cousins.!" Liam's smile was gone as quickly as it
came.

"Not to worry" Baela said, side-eyeing Zayn, to make sure he wasn't storming over. "Tomorrow then?" She must have felt Zayn's objection because she asked, "Or we could revise at your house?"