2.45༊*·˚

"Who is Daniel?" Baela asked, peering closer at the paper.

"A friend of my father's, apparently a good friend" Zayn mumbled.

"And what missing pages?" Baela looked from Zayn to Liam.

"We should explain in the office," Liam grabbed the lamp and they followed him back through the building.

This time, Zayn shut his office window properly, and closed the door. Baela sat on one of the chairs still propped in the corner from when Zayn said his apologies.

"So... who is Daniel? What missing papers? And why was this note stuffed into the lamp?" she asked, crossing her arms.

"Daniel is a farmer who lives on the outskirts of the Town. We get eggs and milk from him" Zayn removed the chain from around his neck and slotted the bite of the brass key into the keyhole. The colours matched but because it was broken, Zayn didn't have the satisfaction of using it.

"Oh, so... what are the missing papers?"

"They're from my dad's journal the year Liam's parents were killed. Jaiden forged an entry in the journal to say they were capturing werewolf hunters, that Liam and Harry's parents were werewolf hunters.!"

Liam looked away before Baela could make eye contact. For some reason, he felt ashamed as though it were true.

"How did you know it was forged?"

"The handwriting was off, and we found notes in Jaiden's  belongings of him practicing dad's handwriting. Last year's journal is also missing."

"Sneaky bastard." Baela frowned. "Why would he do that?"

"We dont know. I guess the answers are in last year's journal that has suspiciously gone missing."

Baela stood, rubbing her chin and pacing slowly back and forth.

"He forged an entry to say Xavier captured werewolf hunters and what? Killed them?"

"We don't know. The rest of the month was
torn out." Zayn glanced to Liam who stared from the window. "We don't know why he would lie about that. We've had other stuff to deal with, so we haven't been able to give it much thought."

Baela heavily sat back down. "So, Xavier would give something this important to a farmer? Why?"

"He trusted him." Zayn had only spoken to Daniel once, but he understood how his father formed such a close friendship with him. Daniel was likeable, smart, and very observing. He had given Zayn the scolding of a lifetime. Daniel had given him clarity that had a part to play in his apologies.

"If Daniel has the papers, they're safe"

"And you know that for sure?"

"Yes," Zayn grumbled, eyeing Baela who was confused about why he was so sure. "Get me that book from the top of the bookshelf."

Baela stood on a chair to reach it, frowning deeper. "What is this?" She picked tenderly at the leather strap.

"An Alpha journal. Dad made it for me. I haven't really looked through it and I probably should" Zayn snatched it from her with a scowl. He was stressed and impatient. His only saviour was the patient people around him.

"Maybe we should go to Daniel's farm?" Liam suggested.

"I should read this first," Zayn mumbled, flicking through the pages.

Baela and Liam watched him for a long minute until Baela asked him to read out loud.

Zayn sighed heavily and continued to flick through a lot of pages until one near the end caught his attention.