1.23𓆩ᥫ᭡𓆪

The next morning, Zayn waited outside of Liam's
house, hoping he decided to go back to college.
Baela watched from the woods. He could feel her
eyes on him, but he couldn't see her.

Zayn rubbed his hands together. The snow was
already starting to melt, but the air was still bitter. He checked his watch a few times, tapping his fingers on the crumbling front garden wall. Bricks had fallen off in multiple areas. The metal garden fence, no higher than Zayn's waist was rusty and bent.

The front of Liam's house needed new paint, and the path leading to the green front door was uneven.

When the time comes to persuade Liam to live in
the packhouse, Zayn might not have a hard time
convincing Liam.

He rechecked the time. At exactly 8:30 am, the front door opened. Liam tumbled onto the path with his bag in one hand, and his other arm trying to get through his coat sleeve.

He hasn't slept, Zayn thought. Liam's brown eyes were still half-closed and droopy. His brown wavy hair resembled a well-build bird's nest. His cheeks, usually warm and rosy, were pale and probably cold. I've broken him.

Liam hurried down the path, frowning at the ground.

He noticed Zayn when he reached the gate. Liam
jumped almost a foot in the air like the gate had
electrocuted him. He didn't stop to hear what Zayn had to say and ran back to the front door.

"Wait!" Zayn yelled, but the front door shut behind Liam before Zayn could get through the gate.

Zayn grudgingly dragged his feet back to the
woods, hunched over by the weight of his heavy
heart.

"It's okay" Baela said, stepping into view. "You
can try again later."

*****

Liam ran back to his bedroom and shut the door.
He sneaked to his window and peered out at the
garden below, then to the woods beyond.

He saw movement, and watched the back of Zayn and Baela, walking away from the house.
Liam watched Zayn, moving peacefully along the trail Liam had made from years of running.

Zayn then stopped and turned. Liam didn't think he would turn and look directly at him, but he did.

"Shit." Liam ducked and sat on the floor by his bed.

For a split second, their eyes connected. "He's not going to hurt me," Liam whispered. "He's not going to hurt me. He just wanted to talk like he said in his text. Relax Liam. He's not a rogue dog like the one-"

Liam shook his head, not wanting to think about the night his parents died.

Liam waited a few minutes, then peeked outside his window. Zayn and Baela were gone, and Liam was now late for college.

He sank back to the floor, rubbing his chest. Liam
had struggled to get up. Well, he had barely slept,
but under his duvet was warm and safe and held
no responsibility. Liam didn't feel well either. Being out in the cold wasn't helping him get better.

*****

The next morning, Zayn did the same. He waited
outside Liam's house, trying not to pace and draw attention to himself.

Baela was back among the trees, the snow was a
little more melted, and the air was a little denser
and a little less chilly.

Zayn unzipped his black jacket and crossed his
arms, watching snow drip from the branches of a
nearby tree.

At exactly 8:30 am, the front door opened. This
time, Liam didn't tumble down the path. He poked his head from the door, looking at Zayn with anxious brown eyes.