2.4༊*·˚

Hello! Its been a while(?)
I have posted 2 consecutive chapters.
I have been thinking of finishing this BEFORE starting ✨Tightrope✨ so you might or might not get double updates *shrugs* idk.

At some point after dinner, Zayn had gone to take a shower and walk around the perimeter of the institute to enjoy the cool evening air. Liam had been unusually quiet since he returned from the town. Liam was naturally quiet anyway, but he usually had a lot to say to Zayn.

Tonight was different. When Zayn asked if Liam would be joining him in bed anytime soon, Liam mumbled that he would read for a bit longer. Zayn lingered in the doorway to Liam's library, knowing something was wrong but not able to make Liam feel better. His mate didn't want to talk about it, so Zayn respected his wishes and left him to be by himself.

Zayn stopped by his mother's room. He knocked, and she yelled for him to enter. She was already in bed, reading a book. She peered at her son from over her reading glasses.

Zayn sighed heavily and sat behind her, crossing his legs. He started plaiting her hair, a little more aggressively than usual.

"Watch it," Solana warned, holding the side of her head. "I'd like to keep my hair thank you very much."

Zayn mumbled something but didn't ease his fingers.

"I'm guessing this is about Liam? The poor boy must have been troubled after what happened at the town."

"Everyone who lives there can rot as far as I'm concerned"

"Niall said the police pulled a taser on him. We both know Niall likes to resolve things with his voice not his fists. Don't you think those officers acted a little extreme?"

"I think everyone acted a little extreme. I don't get it!"

"And you definitely informed the authorities about Liam living here?" Solana asked, gritting her teeth when Zayn tugged a little too hard on her hair.

"Yes, unless they just didn't inform Ethdellin Town officers. I wouldn't put it past them to be incompetent." Zayn felt Liam's sorrow like a dull bulb in his chest. "I shouldn't have let him go."

"We shouldn't live in fear like this."

"I'm not living in fear, I'm just being cautious."

Solana touched the plait when it was done, then turned to face Zayn.

"We are living in fear. The southern Alpha has consumed us. Doesn't it make you think that they've done this to weaken you?"

"I'm not weak." Zayn got up and slammed the hairbrush down on his mother's dresser. "I'm going to bed."

"Wait" Solana sighed and Zayn stopped by her door. "Think about Liam here. He's not used to being cooped up in a Packhouse like this. Quite frankly, neither are your wolves. I don't blame Liam for wanted to go to the town. I don't blame him for thinking that nobody would bat an eyelid at his return. That boy is just dealing with the fact that Ethdellin Town will never be home for him again. I imagine the town holds a lot of memories for him because of his parents. Just let him be sad."

Solana approached Zayn. "Just because you're his mate doesn't mean that you're responsible for keeping him happy every minute of every day. It's your job to be there when he needs someone. Yes, Liam's usually upbeat and positive, but everyone has bad days. He'll be back to normal soon enough."

Zayn rubbed his tired eyes. He thought about snapping back, but Liam had taught him that his mother would only snap twice as hard, which always resulted in an argument. "Tomorrow, I'm phoning the police station. They're not gonna like answering to me."